Monty Python's Life of Brian: The Musical - Not The Messiah

• Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life Python
In summary: He was a riot.In summary, Eric Idle is producing a musical adaptation of the Life of Brian, which is expected to be funnier than Handel but not as good as Spamalot. John Du Prez will collaborate with Idle again. The show's debut will be at Toronto's inaugural Luminato Festival of the Arts.
Schrodinger's Dog
Ok since I know there are a few fans of Monty Python here, I read today after the success of Sir Spamalot, the musical version of the Holy Grail they've decided to do a musical version of the life of Brian, any thoughts?:smile:

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/theatre/news/article2271652.ece

Musical 'Life of Brian' has Idle looking on bright side
By Jonathan Brown
Published: 15 February 2007

It seems strange to think that when it was released in 1979, Monty Python's Life of Brian scandalised church leaders, prompting criticism from bishops and family values campaigners. There were boycotts, protests and furious debates over the film's allegedly blasphemous content.

But the world has moved on and "Brian" is now one of the best-loved films of all time both in Europe and the United States.

Now, inevitably, comes the musical. Yesterday, former Python Eric Idle announced he was to follow the international success of Spamalot, the musical version of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, by turning the Life of Brian into a "comic oratorio" titled Not The Messiah (He's A Very Naughty Boy). The show will have its world premiere in Toronto in June as part of an arts festival to promote tourism. Idle, who played characters ranging from Harry the Haggler to the Woman Who Cast First Stone and the Intensely Dull Youth in the original, was giving little away when he spoke to film industry magazine Variety.

The 63-year-old said: "I promise it will be funnier than Handel, although probably not as good."

Fans will be desperate to know whether they can look forward to the return of much loved characters like Biggus Dickus, Jesus the Christ and of course Brian himself. They will also be wondering whether the film's most famous song, Always Look On The Bright Side of Life, will make an appearance despite having been borrowed for the earlier musical. Spamalot won three Tony awards including best musical after opening on Broadway in March 2005 and has brought in $100m (£51m) in ticket sales.

A national tour and a West End production followed. Not The Messiah was commissioned by the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, whose music director, Peter Oundjian, is Idle's cousin.

But the comedian insisted he had nothing to do with his decision. "Who would want to work with their relatives, anyway?" he asked. "They're usually unpleasant, dishonest and slow to pick up the cheque." However, he conceded: "He's got a bit of class, which is something my family has always desperately needed."

Spamalot co-composer John Du Prez will collaborate with Idle again. The show's debut will be at Toronto's inaugural Luminato Festival of the Arts.

The Life of Brian was re-released in 2004 to "cash in" according to former Python Terry Jones, on the success of Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ. Despite achieving respectable box office receipts it failed to do as well as Holy Grail re-released in the US three years earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
It seems strange to think that when it was released in 1979, Monty Python's Life of Brian scandalised church leaders, prompting criticism from bishops and family values campaigners. There were boycotts, protests and furious debates over the film's allegedly blasphemous content.
Yeah - I remember that. It was great! :rofl:

My father, a Methodist minister, really enjoyed the movie.

I don't know if it would be as successful as a play as Spamalot - although I haven't seen Spamalot. Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid.

I wish Idle well and much success. Too bad Graham Chapman isn't around. He was my favorite Python.

Astronuc said:
I wish Idle well and much success. Too bad Graham Chapman isn't around. He was my favorite Python.

You can tell a lot about a person by knowing his favorite Python. I've always liked Michael Palin the most.

Regarding a new musical, "Life of Brian" seems as though it would have been a more likely musical than "Grail" in the first place. I'm glad to see Idle making good. Evidently he had a few tough years (a bit too Idle).

Chi Meson said:
You can tell a lot about a person by knowing his favorite Python. I've always liked Michael Palin the most.

Regarding a new musical, "Life of Brian" seems as though it would have been a more likely musical than "Grail" in the first place. I'm glad to see Idle making good. Evidently he had a few tough years (a bit too Idle).

It's probably Palin for me as well, with a very strong second for Cleese, Ripping Yarns puts Palin over the top though.

As it happens, "Life of Brian" was not allowed onto Norwegian cinemas due to the charge of blasphemy.
This occasioned Swedish advertisers to make the slogan:
"So funny that the Norweeds forbade it!"

Norwegian authorities reneged their decision a couple of years later.

Blasphemy laws are the worst kind!

Life of Brian was my favorite. Tis a pity that Chapman's passed on. I enjoyed his performances in the Life of Brian and the Holy Grail.

1. What is "Monty Python's Life of Brian: The Musical - Not The Messiah" about?

"Monty Python's Life of Brian: The Musical - Not The Messiah" is a comedic musical that follows the story of Brian Cohen, a young Jewish man who is mistaken for the Messiah in 1st century Judea. The musical is a parody of biblical stories and pokes fun at religion and society.

2. Is this musical based on the original "Monty Python's Life of Brian" film?

Yes, "Monty Python's Life of Brian: The Musical - Not The Messiah" is an adaptation of the 1979 film "Monty Python's Life of Brian" created by the comedy group Monty Python.

3. Who wrote the music and lyrics for "Monty Python's Life of Brian: The Musical - Not The Messiah"?

The music and lyrics were written by Eric Idle, a member of Monty Python, and John Du Prez, a British music composer and songwriter. Idle also wrote the book for the musical.

4. What are some of the popular songs from "Monty Python's Life of Brian: The Musical - Not The Messiah"?

Some of the popular songs from the musical include "Hail to the Shoe", "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life", and "The Final Song".

5. Has "Monty Python's Life of Brian: The Musical - Not The Messiah" won any awards?

Yes, the musical has won several awards including the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Lyrics and the Drama League Award for Distinguished Production of a Musical.

Back