Monochromatic transverse wave problem

In summary, the problem involves a monochromatic transverse wave propagating in the positive x direction on a string with a velocity of 12 m/s, amplitude of 0.05 m, and wavelength of 0.4 m. At t=0 and x=0, the string altitude is 0 and moving in the positive y direction. Using the formula y(x,t) = Asin(kx-ωt), where k = (2π/λ) and ω = vk, the altitude y is found to be -0.02 when x=0.25 m and t=0.15 sec. However, since the problem states that ∂y/∂t is positive, the value of
Gil-H

Homework Statement

Monochromatic transverse wave is propagating
in the positive x direction on a string (neither end is fixed).
The wave velocity is 12 m/s, amplitude 0.05 m, and wavelength is 0.4 m.
At t=0 and x=0 the string altitude is 0, and moving in
the positive y direction [i.e. (dy/dt)|(t=0) > 0]

Find the altitude y at x=0.25 m and t=0.15 sec.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that since y is 0 when x and t are 0, it must sine:
y(x,t) = Asin(kx-ωt)

I found the parameters I need:
k = (2π/λ)=(2π)/(0.4) = 5π
ω = vk = 12*5π = 60π

and I get
y(x,t) = 0.05sin(5πx-60πt)

I plug in the values x=0.25 and t=0.15 and get
y(0.25,0.15) = -0.02

But this is not the answer. Why?
What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

Gil-H said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that since y is 0 when x and t are 0, it must sine:
y(x,t) = Asin(kx-ωt)

For the expression you wrote, ∂y/∂t is negative. But the problem statement said ∂y/∂t is positive.

You'll need to modify your expression so that ∂y/∂t is positive.

Thanks.

I've set A to be -0.05 and it worked.

Related to Monochromatic transverse wave problem

1. What is a monochromatic transverse wave?

A monochromatic transverse wave is a type of wave that oscillates perpendicular to the direction of travel, with a single frequency and wavelength. It is characterized by a single color or wavelength of light, and does not include any other frequencies or colors.

2. What is the difference between a monochromatic transverse wave and a monochromatic longitudinal wave?

The main difference between a monochromatic transverse wave and a monochromatic longitudinal wave is the direction of oscillation. In a transverse wave, the oscillation is perpendicular to the direction of travel, whereas in a longitudinal wave, the oscillation is parallel to the direction of travel.

3. How is the speed of a monochromatic transverse wave calculated?

The speed of a monochromatic transverse wave can be calculated by multiplying the wavelength of the wave by its frequency. This is also known as the wave's velocity, and is measured in meters per second.

4. What are some real-life examples of monochromatic transverse waves?

Some real-life examples of monochromatic transverse waves include light waves, radio waves, and X-rays. These waves are all characterized by a single frequency and wavelength, and they all travel in a transverse manner.

5. How is a monochromatic transverse wave problem solved?

To solve a monochromatic transverse wave problem, you will need to use the wave equation, which relates the wave's speed, frequency, and wavelength. You will also need to apply the principles of superposition, which states that the displacement of the medium at any point is the sum of the displacements caused by each individual wave.