Scientists Discover New Kind of Chimp: What Do We Know?

• Thread starter Mentat
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, these chimps will be classified as Pan troglodytes, but they will be considered a new sub-species.
Mentat
I want to warn you from the start that this is third-degree hearsay, so I don't know any details. However, I've heard from a guy who heard from a guy that scientists have discovered a new kind of chimp (to be clear, it is not new, it is just new to us). I think he said that it resembles a baboon more than the usual chimp...I'm not really sure. I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything like this. Sorry to not be able to provide more detail, but I assume that this discovery should be fairly big news; so, if anyone knows anything about this, please tell what you know about it.

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't think it is true, a quick google search didn't turn up anything.. it turned up a different story on new animals though:

Glow-In-The-Dark Pet Fish Coming Soon

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=624&ncid=753&e=10&u=/ap/20031202/ap_on_sc/fluorescent_fish
The nation's first genetically altered household pet — a fish that glows in the dark — is set to begin appearing in stores next month everywhere except perhaps California, the only state with a ban on lab-engineered species.
actually, let's make that a new thread..

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, it is true. I started a thread about it in S & D a few weeks ago, but no one cared.

The newly discovered chimps are remarkable, not because they resemble babboons, but because they resemble gorillas: they are much larger than known chimps.

Here's a link to the original story:

Elusive African Apes: Giant Chimps or New Species?
Address:http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/04/0414_030314_strangeape.html

-Zooby

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by zoobyshoe
Actually, it is true. I started a thread about it in S & D a few weeks ago, but no one cared.

The newly discovered chimps are remarkable, not because they resemble babboons, but because they resemble gorillas: they are much larger than known chimps.
S & D?

Originally posted by Monique
S & D?
Skepticism and Debunking. (I was trying to get a discussion started as to whether the discovery of this unknown species of chimp could be used as a tool of hope for those believing in the Yeti and Bigfoot.)

Originally posted by zoobyshoe

Interesting. Forgive me for not having read your thread on this, but I never go into the S&D forum (I suppose I have at some point, peeked in their, but I've never posted their or really read more than a couple posts).

I couldn't read the whole article, but I read most of it. So, was the skull that that man found previously (and labeled as belonging to Gorilla gorilla ullensis) a skull of one of these giant chimpanzees?

Are these giant chimpanzees going to be considered Pan troglodytes, or are they a different sub-species?

1. What is the new kind of chimp that scientists have discovered?

The new kind of chimp that scientists have discovered is a species called the Bili apes, also known as the "lion-eating apes." These apes are a subspecies of the common chimpanzee and are found in the Bili Forest in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

2. How are Bili apes different from other chimpanzees?

Bili apes are much larger and more aggressive than other chimpanzees. They have larger heads and longer canine teeth, which they use to hunt and eat other primates, including monkeys and smaller chimpanzees. They also build larger and more intricate nests for sleeping, and have distinct behaviors and vocalizations that set them apart from other chimpanzees.

3. How did scientists discover the Bili apes?

The Bili apes were first discovered in the early 2000s by researchers studying the biodiversity of the Bili Forest. They noticed that the chimpanzees in this area were larger and more aggressive than other chimpanzees, and had never been studied or documented before. Further research and DNA analysis confirmed that these were indeed a new species of chimpanzee.

4. What do we know about the behavior of Bili apes?

Scientists have observed that Bili apes have a complex social structure, with dominant males leading a group of females and their offspring. They are also known to use tools, such as using sticks to fish for termites, and have been observed engaging in organized hunting and territorial behavior. They also have a unique vocalization, known as a "pant-hoot," which is used for communication within the group.

5. What are the implications of this discovery?

The discovery of the Bili apes has significant implications for the conservation of these animals and their habitat. It also adds to our understanding of the evolution and diversity of chimpanzees, and highlights the importance of further research and protection of this species. It also raises questions about the potential existence of other undiscovered primate species in remote and unexplored areas of the world.