Mom's diet can tinker with baby's genes

• Thread starter scott1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genes
In summary, a study presented at the Human Genome Organisation meeting showed that a simple vitamin supplement in a pregnant mouse's diet can cause her offspring to become fatter. This is due to chemical changes made to the mother's DNA, which can be passed down to future generations. Previous experiments have also shown that factors such as stress levels, diet, and living conditions can influence future generations. Some have suggested that these effects are attributed to changes in DNA methylation patterns. Other theories, such as mothers being able to vary the gender of their baby by changing their blood pH, are considered unlikely and remain unproven.
scott1
A simple vitamin supplement in a pregnant mouse's diet can make her offspring fatter, according to research presented on 1 June at the Human Genome Organisation meeting in Helsinki, Finland. The effect is thought to be due to chemical changes made to the mother's DNA, which can be passed down the generations.
http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060529/full/060529-10.html
This reminds me of my mom saying that she changed her diet to be healther while she was pregenet.:rolleyes:

Biology news on Phys.org
There have been previous experiments done on mice, rats, and other lab animals showing similar results. Some experiments have shown that stress levels, diet, living conditions, etc. can influence future generations. From what I remember a lot of the effects are attributed to changes in DNA methylation patterns...but I could be wrong.

muadib2k said:
From what I remember a lot of the effects are attributed to changes in DNA methylation patterns...but I could be wrong.
I guess you didn't follow the link to read the full article, because that's exactly what it says the likely explanation is. :wink:

lol, yeah I didn't follow the link...my bad. At least my memory didn't let me down (this time).

I have also heard that mothers can vary the gender of their baby by slightly changing their blood ph. I believe if the mother makes it more acidic she increases the chances of having a boy.

Thanks,
-scott

scott_alexsk said:
I have also heard that mothers can vary the gender of their baby by slightly changing their blood ph. I believe if the mother makes it more acidic she increases the chances of having a boy.

Thanks,
-scott

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems highly unlikely, as the sex of the baby is determined by the chromosome set-up in the sperm that fertilizes the egg in question.

If so, how would a higher blood pH have any effect on the sperms with the Y chromosome? Most of these things are just speculations.

Gender is of course determined chromosomally and blood pH per se can't have an effect on that. I have heard that the x and y sperm are differentially sensitive to the pH of the female genital tract though but I don't think its ever been proven (i've heard of people using vaginal douches to try and influence the gender of their baby).

Related to Mom's diet can tinker with baby's genes

1. What does the phrase "Mom's diet can tinker with baby's genes" mean?

The phrase refers to the idea that a mother's diet during pregnancy can have an impact on the expression of her baby's genes. This means that certain nutrients and compounds in the mother's diet can affect how her baby's genes are turned on or off, potentially influencing the development of various traits and characteristics.

2. Is there scientific evidence to support this claim?

Yes, there have been several studies done on both animals and humans that suggest a link between a mother's diet during pregnancy and her baby's gene expression. For example, a study on pregnant rats found that a diet high in fat led to changes in the expression of genes related to metabolism and appetite control in their offspring.

3. How does a mother's diet influence her baby's genes?

There are several mechanisms that could potentially explain the link between a mother's diet and her baby's genes. One theory is that certain nutrients in the diet can act as "epigenetic modifiers," meaning they can attach to the DNA and affect how genes are expressed. Another theory is that the mother's diet can alter the composition of the microbiome in her gut, which can then impact gene expression in her baby.

4. Can a mother's diet during pregnancy have long-term effects on her baby's genes?

Yes, there is evidence to suggest that a mother's diet during pregnancy can have lasting effects on her baby's gene expression, even into adulthood. This is known as "developmental programming" and is thought to occur when certain environmental factors, such as diet, during critical stages of development can permanently alter gene expression.

5. What can expectant mothers do to ensure their baby's genes are not negatively impacted by their diet?

While more research is needed to fully understand the relationship between a mother's diet and her baby's genes, some recommendations include maintaining a balanced and varied diet, avoiding excessive weight gain during pregnancy, and limiting exposure to potentially harmful substances such as alcohol and tobacco. It is also important to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized dietary advice during pregnancy.