Momentum transfer and energy scale

In summary, the parameter Q is the absolute value of momentum transfer q. It is used to determine the probability of finding an incoming Parton inside the proton.
Josh1079
Hi, I am recently working on a project involving simulations and I'm pretty confused about the parameter energy scale Q (contained in TruthEvent pdfInfo). I tried to figure out what that parameter means and from some sources online I think Q is the absolute value of momentum transfer q. Therefore, I'm a bit confused about how the value of Q is determined. There are a lot of interactions in one event and I guess that gives a different q, but as far as I know the Q is for per event, so how do they determine Q?

I tried to find information from the class reference (http://hep.uchicago.edu/~kkrizka/rootcoreapis/d7/d81/classxAOD_1_1TruthEvent__v1.html) but can't really find much.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure, since I don't understand what that class stands for... but don't you have a primary vertex?

Thanks for the reply!

Ah! You mean it comes from the pp collision vertex? This makes perfect sense! Thanks!

I don't know, in general all the other vertices are considered as pileup and so may not contain the process that you want to measure [because I read some cross section methods in the class]...

It sounds like this q2 (pdfinfo) is likely to correspond to the scale at which the PDF is evaluated For the hard process.

This scale is generally set as a scale typical of the hard process (the primary interaction of an 'event').

If you are producing a W boson, the mass of the w boson might be a good choice. When you have multiple vertices, it is a little less obvious and you try to pick a scale which is representative of many events you are looking at. For example the transverse mass of the w boson (which could be produced in association with other qcd particles for example).

Finally, the probability of finding an incoming Parton inside the proton is provided by a Parton distribution function which describes this probability as a function of Q and x (momentum fraction of the proton that it carries)

Likes mfb

Related to Momentum transfer and energy scale

1. What is momentum transfer?

Momentum transfer refers to the transfer of momentum from one object to another through a collision or interaction. It is a measure of the force and direction of the motion of an object.

2. How is momentum transfer related to energy scale?

Momentum transfer is directly proportional to the energy scale of a system. This means that as the energy scale increases, the momentum transfer also increases. This relationship is described by the equation: momentum transfer = energy scale x velocity.

3. What are some examples of momentum transfer in everyday life?

Examples of momentum transfer in everyday life include a ball bouncing off a wall, a car colliding with another car, and a person pushing a shopping cart. In each of these situations, there is a transfer of momentum from one object to another.

4. How is momentum transfer and energy scale used in scientific research?

In scientific research, momentum transfer and energy scale are used to understand the behavior and interactions of particles at the microscopic level. This is important in fields such as particle physics, where the transfer of momentum and energy can reveal information about the fundamental building blocks of matter.

5. What factors can affect momentum transfer and energy scale?

The magnitude and direction of momentum transfer and energy scale can be affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the objects involved in the interaction, as well as any external forces present. In addition, the type of collision or interaction can also impact the amount of momentum transfer and energy scale.