Momentum to Force: Calculating the Velocity Needed

In summary: If a force F is needed to deform or break an object, with what velocity, V, must I hit it with a hammer of mass, m?If you want to deform or break an object with a hammer, you will need a velocity, V, to hit it with. You will need to hit the object with enough force to cause it to break. The hammer must be hitting the object with a velocity that will cause the object to break.
Keyshawn
<< Moderator Note -- thread moved from General Physics to HH/Intro Physics >>

If a force F is needed to deform or break an object, with what velocity, V, must I hit it with a hammer of mass, m?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

This looks like homework. We have a homework template that we ask students to fill out so we know your level of understanding. We also need to see your work before we can give suggestions to you.

From Newton's 2nd law, we have [itex] F=\frac{\Delta p}{\Delta t}=m\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t} [/itex].
So its important that what will be the velocity of the hammer after hitting the object. If it stops, you'll have [itex] \Delta v=V [/itex]. But if it rebounds with the same speed, you'll have [itex] \Delta v=2 V [/itex]. In reality, its always somewhere between these extremes which depends on the material from which the object and the hammer are made of and, to some extent, on how hard you're hitting, but that's not as important as the materials I think.
Another point is the time that takes for the change of velocity to happen. The shorter it lasts, the more force you'll have.
So at first, you should know in the kind of hitting you're doing and kind of materials you're using, how will be the rebound. Then you should see how fast the velocity changes. This isn't as adjustable as the velocity so you should think of it as a given I think.
Then you can decide how much should be the velocity of hitting.

I have to design a machine and this is one of the sub-components. We have to deform a small pin made of steel, and 800 lbs of force is necessary. the pin is fixed at one end and a hammer on a rotating arm will hit it on the other end. I'm not sure about any of this, so I don't have any work. What material and what speed of the hammer would be necessary to deform the pin?

I'm a 3rd year Mechanical Engineering student, if that helps with level of understanding

Keyshawn said:
If a force F is needed to deform or break an object, with what velocity, V, must I hit it with a hammer of mass, m?

Keyshawn said:
I'm a 3rd year Mechanical Engineering student, if that helps with level of understanding

Welcome to the PF.

Well, as a 3rd year ME student, you certainly are familiar with the concepts of stress and strain, correct? And the concepts of elastic versus plastic deformation, correct? How do those concepts apply to this project? It sounds like you must do more than just elastically move the pin with the hammer, but it's hard to tell from your project statement. Can you post the exact text of the project statement?

Related to Momentum to Force: Calculating the Velocity Needed

1. What is momentum and how is it related to force?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, and it is directly related to the force applied to the object. The greater the momentum, the harder it is to stop or change the object's motion, and this requires a greater force.

2. How do you calculate the velocity needed to produce a certain amount of force?

The equation for calculating the velocity needed to produce a force is v = F/m, where v is velocity, F is force, and m is mass. This equation can also be rearranged to solve for any of the three variables, depending on the given information.

3. What units are used for momentum and force?

In the SI system, momentum is measured in kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s) and force is measured in Newtons (N). In other systems, momentum can be measured in units such as gram-centimeters per second (g*cm/s) and force can be measured in units such as pounds (lb).

4. How can momentum be conserved in a system?

Momentum can be conserved in a system if there is no external force acting on the system. This means that the total momentum before an event or interaction must equal the total momentum after the event or interaction.

5. What factors can affect the velocity needed to produce a certain amount of force?

The velocity needed to produce a certain amount of force can be affected by factors such as the mass of the object, the direction and angle of the force, and any external forces acting on the object. Additionally, friction and air resistance can also impact the velocity needed to produce a certain force.