Momentum Stored inside an Electromagnetic Field

In summary, the electromagnetic field is introduced as a vector field that allows for calculation of force at a specific point in space. However, as one progresses in electrodynamics, it is discovered that the fields also have energy and momentum stored within them. This may seem strange at first, but since photons have momentum, it makes sense that the EM field should as well. The conservation of momentum and energy requires us to acknowledge the existence of the field as a physical entity, rather than just a mathematical concept.
BVM
Quite a vague question here, and I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to get a satisfying answer out of this one, but here goes.

Fields such as the electric or magnetic field are introduced as vector fields that allow you to calculate a force at a certain point in space. In this interpretation they are conceptually on exactly the same footing as an 'action at a distance' theory such as Newton's gravity.

However, as you progress in electrodynamics, you learn that the fields have energy and momentum stored inside them. Now I understood how energy could be stored in a certain charge configuration (and thus it could be modeled as 'stored inside of the field'). But the idea of the electromagnetic field having a certain amount of momentum seemed bizarre to me. Does this mean I have to abandon the idea of the field being something purely mathematical altogether, or is there some sort of analogy or explanation that can help me understand it?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I suppose it does sound a bit strange at first - but then again, photons have momentum so it makes sense that the EM field should as well.

If we have two changes q and q' separated by some distance and we shove q towards q' then the force on q will increase immediately but the increase in the force on q' will happen some time later (after the EM wave has traveled the distance between the two particles). It's like the action and reaction forces are out of balance as there's a force pushing back on q reducing the momentum but for a while there's no corresponding force on q' to increase this particle's momentum. If we want momentum to be conserved then I think we have to admit that the missing momentum has been temporarily transferred to the field.

The same sort of thing goes for energy - a beam of light moves energy from place to place and you can imagine how the conservation of energy principle requires the EM field to have energy.

I'd say that the field exists as a thing in its own right - if it didn't then we could come up with examples where momentum and energy weren't conserved.

BVM said:
Quite a vague question here, and I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to get a satisfying answer out of this one, but here goes.

Fields such as the electric or magnetic field are introduced as vector fields that allow you to calculate a force at a certain point in space. In this interpretation they are conceptually on exactly the same footing as an 'action at a distance' theory such as Newton's gravity.

However, as you progress in electrodynamics, you learn that the fields have energy and momentum stored inside them. Now I understood how energy could be stored in a certain charge configuration (and thus it could be modeled as 'stored inside of the field'). But the idea of the electromagnetic field having a certain amount of momentum seemed bizarre to me. Does this mean I have to abandon the idea of the field being something purely mathematical altogether, or is there some sort of analogy or explanation that can help me understand it?

Thanks.

Yes, I guess you have to. Everything becomes more and more bizarre as you progress. Oscillating EM field gives off light, which is something physical, it is not purely mathematical anymore.

MalachiK said:
Yeah, I suppose it does sound a bit strange at first - but then again, photons have momentum so it makes sense that the EM field should as well.

If we have two changes q and q' separated by some distance and we shove q towards q' then the force on q will increase immediately but the increase in the force on q' will happen some time later (after the EM wave has traveled the distance between the two particles). It's like the action and reaction forces are out of balance as there's a force pushing back on q reducing the momentum but for a while there's no corresponding force on q' to increase this particle's momentum. If we want momentum to be conserved then I think we have to admit that the missing momentum has been temporarily transferred to the field.

The same sort of thing goes for energy - a beam of light moves energy from place to place and you can imagine how the conservation of energy principle requires the EM field to have energy.

I'd say that the field exists as a thing in its own right - if it didn't then we could come up with examples where momentum and energy weren't conserved.

Thanks! That answer really helped me understand the problem.

BVM said:

The momentum of an electromagnetic field is defined as the Poynting vector S = E × H. Note that for propagating fields, that's proportional to the wavevector.

Related to Momentum Stored inside an Electromagnetic Field

1. What is momentum stored inside an electromagnetic field?

Momentum stored inside an electromagnetic field refers to the amount of energy that an electromagnetic field possesses, which can be transferred to other particles or objects through the movement of the field itself.

2. How is momentum stored in an electromagnetic field?

Momentum is stored in an electromagnetic field through the movement and interaction of electric and magnetic fields. As these fields propagate through space, they carry energy and momentum with them.

3. What is the relationship between momentum and electromagnetic fields?

The relationship between momentum and electromagnetic fields is described by Maxwell's equations. These equations show that changes in the electromagnetic field can induce a flow of momentum, and vice versa.

4. Can momentum be transferred from an electromagnetic field to other objects?

Yes, momentum can be transferred from an electromagnetic field to other objects through the process of radiation pressure. This occurs when the electromagnetic field exerts a force on an object, causing it to move and transfer momentum.

5. How is the momentum stored in an electromagnetic field used in practical applications?

The momentum stored in electromagnetic fields is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the generation of electricity, communication systems, and medical imaging. It is also an essential concept in understanding the behavior of light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation.