Momentum Problem on Water hose

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a hose directing a horizontal jet of water onto a vertical wall. The problem includes finding the force on the wall and the rate of change of momentum as the water hits the wall. The conversation also includes a request for clarification on the second part of the problem.
gidra
It's my first time writing on this forum, hope I'm posting in the correct section.

Problem :

A hose directs a horizontal jet of water on to a vertical wall.

What is the force on the wall, under the above conditions ? Explain.

Thanks for any replies

Physics news on Phys.org
Please post the complete problem exactly as it was given.

A hose directs a horizontal jet of water, moving with a velocity of 20ms^-1, on to a vertical wall. The cross-sectional area of the jet is 5 x 10^-4 m^2. If the density of water is 1000kg m^-3:

a) fin the rate of change of momentum as the water hits the wall, assuming that the water is brought to rest there;

b) what is the force on the wall, under the above conditions? Explain

That's better. Hints for a: How much water hits the wall every second? What's its momentum just before it hits the wall? What's its momentum just after hitting the wall? What's the change in momentum?

I worked out part a, I'm stuck with the theoratic part now. Can't really understand the question. Thanks for your replies btw

I'm not sure I understand. You completed part a? And you're stuck on part b?

Related to Momentum Problem on Water hose

1. What is momentum problem on a water hose?

The momentum problem on a water hose pertains to the force or energy that is created when water is expelled from a hose at a high velocity. This momentum can cause the hose to move or recoil in the opposite direction, which can be dangerous if not handled properly.

2. How is momentum calculated for a water hose?

Momentum can be calculated using the equation p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass of the water, and v is the velocity at which the water is expelled from the hose. This calculation can help determine the force and direction of the momentum in order to safely control the hose.

3. What factors affect the momentum of a water hose?

The momentum of a water hose can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the water, the velocity at which it is expelled, and the angle at which the hose is held. Additionally, external factors such as wind and friction can also influence the momentum of the hose.

4. How can the momentum problem on a water hose be managed?

To manage the momentum problem on a water hose, it is important to have a secure grip on the hose, aim it away from people or objects, and maintain a steady and controlled flow of water. It may also be helpful to use a nozzle or sprayer attachment to regulate the velocity of the water.

5. What are the potential dangers of not properly managing the momentum on a water hose?

If the momentum on a water hose is not managed properly, it can lead to injuries or accidents. The force of the recoil from the hose can cause it to hit someone or damage objects in its path. It can also cause the person holding the hose to lose their balance and potentially fall. Therefore, it is important to always handle water hoses with caution and control the momentum to prevent any potential dangers.