Momentum Pk Independence from Gen. Coord. Qk - Physicsforums

In summary: PhysicsforumsIn summary, the statement by Thornton/Marion on page 269 of their book states that in Hamiltonian dynamics, the generalized coordinates (qk) and canonical conjugate momentum (pk) are independent, while the generalized coordinates and their time derivatives (\dot{q}k) are not independent. This is because the value of the time derivative is directly related to the partial derivative of the Hamiltonian with respect to the canonical conjugate momentum, while the value of the canonical conjugate momentum is not directly related to the value of the generalized coordinate.
sempiris
Hi Physicsforums

I am re-learning classical mechanics and having a tough time dealing with a certain line from Thornton/Marion. On page 269 (5th ed), a little after introducing Hamiltonian dynamics and the canonical conjugate equations of motion, the author says: "the qk and the pk are independent, whereas the qk and the [itex]\dot{q}[/itex]k are not". The context is describing the advantages of using Hamiltonian dynamics over Lagrangian

In my mind, I see pk = m[itex]\dot{q}[/itex]k. If this is the case, I don't see how the author's statement stands.

Thank you for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
and any clarification you can provide.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us for clarification on this statement from Thornton/Marion. I completely understand your confusion and I am happy to help explain this concept to you.

First, let's define the terms used in this statement. In Hamiltonian dynamics, qk represents the generalized coordinates and pk represents the canonical conjugate momentum. The dot above the qk (as in \dot{q}k) represents the time derivative of the generalized coordinate.

Now, let's break down the statement itself. The author is saying that the qk and pk are independent, meaning they are not directly related to each other. However, the qk and \dot{q}k are not independent because they are related through the time derivative.

To better understand this, let's look at the equations of motion in Hamiltonian dynamics:

\dot{q}k = \frac{\partial H}{\partial pk}

and

\dot{p}k = -\frac{\partial H}{\partial qk}

From these equations, we can see that the time derivative of the generalized coordinate is directly related to the partial derivative of the Hamiltonian with respect to the canonical conjugate momentum. This means that the qk and \dot{q}k are not independent, as the value of one is dependent on the value of the other.

On the other hand, the qk and pk are independent because they are not directly related to each other in the equations of motion. The value of the canonical conjugate momentum is not dependent on the value of the generalized coordinate, and vice versa.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the statement from Thornton/Marion. If you have any further questions or need further clarification, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Momentum Pk Independence from Gen. Coord. Qk - Physicsforums

1. What is momentum Pk Independence from Gen. Coord. Qk?

Momentum Pk Independence from Gen. Coord. Qk is a concept in physics that refers to the independence of momentum Pk from the general coordinates Qk. This means that the momentum of a system remains constant regardless of changes in the generalized coordinates of the system.

2. Why is momentum Pk Independence from Gen. Coord. Qk important?

Understanding momentum Pk Independence from Gen. Coord. Qk is important in physics because it helps us to understand the conservation of momentum in systems. It also allows us to simplify complex systems by considering only the general coordinates that affect momentum, rather than all coordinates.

3. How is momentum Pk calculated?

Momentum Pk is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is P=mv, where P is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. The SI unit for momentum is kg*m/s.

4. What factors affect momentum Pk Independence from Gen. Coord. Qk?

The main factor that affects momentum Pk Independence from Gen. Coord. Qk is an external force acting on the system. If there is no external force, then momentum will remain constant. Other factors that can affect momentum include changes in mass or velocity of the system.

5. How is momentum Pk Independence from Gen. Coord. Qk related to Newton's laws of motion?

Momentum Pk Independence from Gen. Coord. Qk is closely related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the law of conservation of momentum. This law states that the total momentum in a closed system remains constant, meaning that momentum Pk is independent from the general coordinates Qk. This is because Newton's laws of motion explain how external forces can affect the momentum of a system.

Back