Momentum of electromagnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the momentum of an electromagnetic field and the conserved quantity due to spatial translation of the Lagrangian. It also explains the difference between momentum and volumic momentum density, with the latter being represented by E × H in the free field.
neerajareen
Hello, I am trying to prove that the momentum of an electromagnetic field is [tex]E \times B[/tex] by considering the conserved quantity due to the spatial translation of the Lagrangian.

[tex]L = - \frac{1}{4}\int {{F^{\mu v}}{F_{\mu v}}} {d^3}x[/tex]

So far, I have calculated the canonical momentum.

[tex]{\Pi _{{A_\mu }}} = \frac{{\partial {A_\mu }}}{{\partial t}} = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}}
0\\
{{E_x}}\\
{{E_y}}\\
{{E_z}}
\end{array}} \right)[/tex]

I know that the conserved quantity is

[tex]Q = \int {{\Pi _{{A_\mu }}}} \delta {A_\mu }{d^3}x[/tex]

But I am not sure how [tex]\delta {A_\mu }[/tex] is going to give me components of the curl.
Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
The 3-momentum of the field is given by
[tex]P^{ j } = \int d^{ 3 }x \ T^{ 0 j } ,[/tex]
where
[tex]T^{ \mu \nu } = \frac{ \partial \mathcal{ L } }{ \partial ( \partial_{ \mu } A_{ \sigma } ) } \partial^{ \nu } A_{ \sigma } - \eta^{ \mu \nu } \mathcal{ L } .[/tex]
If you use the relation
[tex]\frac{ \partial \mathcal{ L } }{ \partial ( \partial_{ \mu } A_{ \sigma } ) } = 4 F^{ \mu \sigma } ,[/tex]
you find
[tex]P^{ j } = - \int d^{ 3 }x \ \eta_{ \mu \sigma }\ F^{ 0 \sigma }\ \partial^{ j } A^{ \mu } .[/tex]
Now, add and subtract [itex]\partial^{ \mu } A^{ j }[/itex], integrate by parts, neglect surface term, and use the equation of motion [itex]\partial_{ \sigma } F^{ 0 \sigma } = 0[/itex]. You will find
[tex]P^{ j } = \int d^{ 3 }x \ \eta_{ \mu \nu } F^{ 0 \mu } F^{ \nu j } = \int d^{ 3 }x \ \eta_{ i k } F^{ 0 i } F^{ k j } = \int d^{ 3 }x \left( \vec{ E } \times \vec{ H } \right)^{ j } .[/tex]

Sam

It's important to know the difference between momentum and volumic momentum density. E × H is the momentum density of the free field.

Related to Momentum of electromagnetic field

1. What is momentum of electromagnetic field?

Momentum of electromagnetic field is the measure of the movement of electromagnetic waves, which are a combination of electric and magnetic fields. It is a vector quantity and is dependent on the direction and magnitude of the electromagnetic wave.

2. How is momentum of electromagnetic field calculated?

The momentum of electromagnetic field is calculated using the formula p = E/c, where p is the momentum, E is the energy of the electromagnetic wave, and c is the speed of light.

3. What is the significance of momentum of electromagnetic field?

The momentum of electromagnetic field is significant because it helps explain the transfer of energy from electromagnetic waves to matter. It also plays a crucial role in the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields.

4. Can the momentum of electromagnetic field be observed?

The momentum of electromagnetic field cannot be directly observed, but its effects can be seen in the behavior of electromagnetic waves and charged particles. It can also be indirectly measured through experiments and calculations.

5. How does the momentum of electromagnetic field relate to the speed of light?

The momentum of electromagnetic field is directly proportional to the speed of light, as seen in the formula p = E/c. This means that as the speed of light increases, the momentum of the electromagnetic wave also increases.