Momentum: Nucleus decays into 3

The data for the first two particles is provided. The total momentum should be 0 since it started from rest. The solution involves equating the sum of the x and y components to zero.
sweetpete28
Can someone please help with this one? I'm not sure what to do here. I broke momentum for particles one and two into components (found m1v1cosθ1 + m2v2cosθ2 and m1v1sinθ1 + m2v2sinθ2) but this is not correct and I really don't know what to do. Please help!

A certain nucleus at rest suddenly decays into three particles, two of which are charged and can be easily detected. The data gathered for these two particles is:

Particle 1 has mass m1 = 3.00 x 10^-20 kg moving at speed v1 = 5.25 x 10^5 m/s at θ1 = 51.9o.

Particle 2 has mass m2 = 2.11 x 10^-25 kg moving at speed v2 = 1.10 x 10^7 m/s at θ2 = 220o.

Find p3, the momentum of the third piece in i-j notation

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help? Since it started from rest should the total momentum be 0?

sweetpete28 said:
Can anyone help? Since it started from rest should the total momentum be 0?

Yes. Write up the sum of all the x and y components in separate equations and equate them to zero.

ehild

Thank you!

sweetpete28 said:
Thank you!

You are welcome. Have you got the correct solution?

ehild

Related to Momentum: Nucleus decays into 3

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

What is a nucleus decay?

A nucleus decay occurs when an unstable nucleus releases energy in the form of particles or radiation in order to become more stable.

How does a nucleus decay into 3?

A nucleus decay into 3 refers to a specific type of decay called triple alpha decay, in which a nucleus splits into three alpha particles (helium nuclei).

What is the significance of a nucleus decaying into 3?

The significance of a nucleus decaying into 3 is that it allows for the release of excess energy and the stabilization of the atom. It is also a key process in the formation of heavier elements in stars.

Can the rate of a nucleus decaying into 3 be controlled or manipulated?

No, the rate of a nucleus decaying into 3 is a spontaneous process that cannot be controlled or manipulated. It is determined by the inherent properties of the nucleus.