Momentum. I did all of them, can u check if i got them right? thank you

In summary, momentum is directly proportional to an object's mass and velocity. The recoil momentum of a gun is equal to the momentum of the bullet it fires. When a bug splatters on a moving bus, the force and impulse on the bus are the same as the bug's, but the change in momentum and acceleration are less. And of course, the bug suffers the greater damage.
Ronaldo21
Momentum. I did all of them, can u check if i got them right!? thank you!

1. A moving car has momentum. If it moves twice as fast, its momentum is TWICE as much.

2. Two cars, one twice as heavy as the other, move down hill at the same speed. Compared to the lighter car, the momentum of the heavier of the heavier car is TWICE as much.

3. The recoil momentum of a gun that kicks is
a. MORE THAN
b. LESS THAN
c. THE SAME AS
the momentum of the bullet it fires, I got C.

4. If a man firmy holds a gun when fired, the momentum of the bullet is equal to the recoil momentum of the
a. GUN ALONE
b. GUN-MAN SYSTEM
c. MAN ALONE
i got B.

5. Suppose you are traveling in a bus at highway speed on a nice summer day and the momentum of an unlucky bug is suddenly changed as it splatters onto the front window.

a. Compared to the force that acts on the bug, how much force acts on the bus?
a. MORE
b. THE SAME
c. LESS
i got B.

b. The time of impact is the same for both the bug and the bus. Compared to the impulse on the bug, this means the impulse on the bus is
a. MORE
b. THE SAME
c. LESS
i got B.

c. Although the momentum of the bus is very large compared to the momentum of the bug, the change in momentum of the bus, campared to the change of the momentum of the bug is
a. MORE
b. THE SAME
c. LESS
i got B.

d. Which undergoes the greater acceleration.
a. BUS
b. BOTH THE SAME
c. BUG
i got C.

and f. Which therefore, suffers the greater damage?
a. BUS
b. BOTH THE SAME
c. THE BUG OF COURSE!
i picked C.

are those correct? thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org

Yup, all correct.

I cannot confirm if your answers are correct without knowing the specific questions and context. However, your understanding of momentum seems to be correct based on your responses. Keep up the good work!

Related to Momentum. I did all of them, can u check if i got them right? thank you

1. What is Momentum?

Momentum is a physics concept that describes the quantity of motion an object has. It is a measure of an object's mass and its velocity.

2. How is Momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is: p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What are the units for Momentum?

The units for momentum are kg*m/s (kilogram meters per second) in the SI system. In other systems, momentum can be measured in different units such as gram centimeters per second or slug feet per second.

4. How does Momentum relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

Momentum is closely related to Newton's Laws of Motion. Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, so it follows this law. Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Momentum is directly proportional to an object's mass and velocity, so it also follows this law. Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Momentum is conserved in a closed system, so the total momentum before and after a collision or interaction remains the same, following this law.

5. How is Momentum used in real life?

Momentum is used in many real-life situations, especially in sports and transportation. In sports, momentum can determine the outcome of a game, as a team with more momentum is often more likely to win. In transportation, understanding momentum is crucial for designing and operating vehicles safely. Momentum is also used in industries such as manufacturing and construction to calculate the force needed to move objects and ensure stability. In addition, the concept of momentum is used in physics research and experiments to understand the behavior of particles and objects at different velocities and masses.