Momentum from F in component form

In summary, the conversation is about finding the change in momentum for a particle based on its force equation. The force equation is given in terms of time and the question is asking for the change in momentum between two specific times. The person is asking for help in understanding how to find the change in momentum without using integrals.
EricHoffman
I am having some trouble figuring out where to start with this problem:

The force on a particle of mass m is given by:

F= 26i – 12t^2j

where F is in N and t in seconds.

What will be the change in the particle’s momentum between t=1s and t=2s?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Eric

Physics news on Phys.org
The area under a force curve is equal to the change in momentum

OK, so maybe this is where I'm having difficulty. From what I can gather, figuring the area under a curve requires some knowledge of integrals; something I haven't got to yet in Calc class.

Is this assumption correct? Assuming it is, is there a way to do it without using integrals?

--Eric

Related to Momentum from F in component form

What is momentum in component form?

Momentum in component form is a way of representing an object's momentum in terms of its x, y, and z components. This allows us to break down the overall momentum into its individual directions.

How is momentum in component form calculated?

Momentum in component form is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its velocity in each direction. The x, y, and z components can then be represented as Px, Py, and Pz respectively.

Why is momentum in component form useful?

Momentum in component form can be useful in analyzing the motion of an object in multiple directions. It allows us to understand how the object's momentum is distributed and how it may be affected by external forces in different directions.

Can momentum in component form be negative?

Yes, momentum in component form can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen coordinate system.

What are the units of momentum in component form?

The units of momentum in component form are typically kg*m/s for each component, as momentum is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.