Momentum & Energy: 10kg Block Hit by 300m/s Bullet

In summary, the problem involves a non-moving 10-kg block that is held at a 30 degree angle by a stop. A 0.010-kg bullet moving at 300 m/s hits the block and embeds into it. The final velocity of the combined mass is 0.3 m/s, but the solution states that the horizontal velocity is actually 0.26 m/s, found by decomposing the final velocity into its components parallel and perpendicular to the inclined plane. However, further calculations do not align with this solution.
2RIP

Homework Statement

The non-moving 10-kg block is held frictionlessly inclined at 30 degrees by a stop at point A . A 0.010-kg bullet is moving at 300 m/s hits the block and embeds into it.

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/9305/68906392wf8.jpg

I'm unsure which is the horizontal velocity.

Homework Equations

m1v1=m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

Let m=0.01 kg, M=10 kg, v=300 m/s

[tex]mv=(m+M)v_{f} [/tex]
[tex]v_{f}=(mv)/(M+m) = 0.3 m/s
[/tex]

I thought the final velocity would be the initial horizontal velocity of the two combined masses, however, the solution says the horizontal velocity is vf*cos30=0.26 m/s and implies the velocity up the incline plane as v=0.3 m/s. Don't we need to be consistent with the direction of velocity in the momentum equation?

It kind of makes sense to me because if vx=0.3 m/s, then the inclined velocity would be greater than 0.3 m/s. But equation wise, I can't figure out how it happened.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The horizontal velocity of the combined mass immediately before it interacts with the inclined plane is the final velocity you found by momentum conservation. But it's likely you must find the horizontal velocity due to the plane.

To do this you must decompose the final velocity into its components parallel and perpendicular to the inclined plane. If you think about where the perpendicular component is directed, you will see that you're just left with the parallel part. This is the initial velocity of the combined mass along the plane that you must decompose further into its horizontal, and vertical, component.

Having said all that though, my calculations disagree with the solution you have but I don't see what I'm doing wrongly.

Related to Momentum & Energy: 10kg Block Hit by 300m/s Bullet

1. What is momentum and energy?

Momentum refers to the quantity of motion an object has, while energy refers to the ability of an object to do work. In this scenario, momentum and energy are both important factors in understanding the impact of the bullet on the block.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. In this case, the momentum of the bullet would be 10kg x 300m/s = 3000 kg*m/s.

3. How is energy transferred during this scenario?

When the bullet hits the block, it transfers its kinetic energy to the block, causing it to move. Some of the energy is also transferred to the surrounding air as heat and sound energy.

4. What happens to the momentum and energy after the collision?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of the system (bullet and block) will remain constant before and after the collision. The energy, however, will be transferred and may be dissipated in different forms.

5. How can momentum and energy be used in real-world scenarios?

Momentum and energy are important concepts in understanding the impact and movement of objects in real-world scenarios, such as car crashes, sports, and even space travel. They can also be used in designing and testing new technologies, such as bulletproof vests and airbags.