Momentum cut-off regularisation & Lorentz invariance

In summary: The main issue is that a hard cut-off violates Lorentz invariance because it introduces a preferred reference frame, which is not allowed in special relativity. This is related to the fact that energy is not a Lorentz invariant quantity, but the main issue is the violation of Lorentz invariance itself.In summary, a hard cut-off defined by ##p^{2}=\Lambda^{2}## breaks Lorentz invariance because it introduces a preferred reference frame, which is not allowed in special relativity. This is related to the fact that energy is not a Lorentz invariant quantity, but the main issue is the violation of Lorentz invariance itself.
Frank Castle
Why is it that introducing a hard cut-off ##p^{2}=\Lambda^{2}## breaks Lorentz invariance? Is it simply that it introduces an energy scale and energy is not a Lorentz invariant quantity?

Sorry if this is a trivial question, but I just want to make sure I understand the reasoning as I've heard/read it being stated, but never fully appreciated why.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Frank Castle said:
Why is it that introducing a hard cut-off ##p^{2}=\Lambda^{2}## breaks Lorentz invariance? Is it simply that it introduces an energy scale and energy is not a Lorentz invariant quantity?
Well, if the cut-off is defined by
$$p^{2}=\Lambda^{2}. . . . . (Eq. 1)$$
then it does not break Lorentz invariance, because
$$p^{2}=p_0^2-{\bf p}^2. . . . . (Eq. 2)$$
is Lorentz invariant. However such a cutoff does not really make physical quantities finite because, with finite positive ##\Lambda^{2}##, (Eq. 1) allows ##p_0## and ##|{\bf p}|## to be arbitrarily big. To bound ##p_0## and ##|{\bf p}|## one can replace (Eq. 2) with a Euclidean scalar product
$$p^{2}_E=p_0^2+{\bf p}^2. . . . . (Eq. 3)$$
but then it is no longer Lorentz invariant.

Demystifier said:
To bound p0p_0 and |p||{\bf p}| one can replace (Eq. 2) with a Euclidean scalar product
p2E=p20+p2...(Eq.3)​
p^{2}_E=p_0^2+{\bf p}^2. . . . . (Eq. 3)
but then it is no longer Lorentz invariant.

Is it instead "Euclidean" invariant? Is it possible to show that the cut-off can't also be Lorentz invariant? Is there any physical intuition as to why a cut-off breaks Lorentz invariance?

Frank Castle said:
Is it instead "Euclidean" invariant?
Yes.

Frank Castle said:
Is it possible to show that the cut-off can't also be Lorentz invariant?
I think I have just shown that.

Frank Castle said:
Is there any physical intuition as to why a cut-off breaks Lorentz invariance?
Sure. Suppose that there is some maximal possible energy-momentum ##p^{\mu}##, and suppose that it is a time-like vector. Then there is a Lorentz frame in which
$$p^{\mu}=(\Lambda,0,0,0)$$
But if ##p^{\mu}## has this form in one Lorentz frame, then it cannot have this form in other Lorentz frames. Therefore there is a special Lorentz frame in which ##p^{\mu}## takes this special form. But if there is a special Lorentz frame, then there is no Lorentz invariance.

Demystifier said:
I think I have just shown that.

I guessing because if it is "Euclidean" invariant then it cannot be simultaneously Lorentz invariant?!

Demystifier said:
Sure. Suppose that there is some maximal possible energy-momentum pμp^{\mu}, and suppose that it is a time-like vector. Then there is a Lorentz frame in which
pμ=(Λ,0,0,0)​
p^{\mu}=(\Lambda,0,0,0)
But if pμp^{\mu} has this form in one Lorentz frame, then it cannot have this form in other Lorentz frames. Therefore there is a special Lorentz frame in which pμp^{\mu} takes this special form. But if there is a special Lorentz frame, then there is no Lorentz invariance.

So would it be correct to say that a hard cut-off introduces an energy scale, which is not Lorentz invariant (since energy is not a Lorentz invariant quantity)?

Frank Castle said:
I guessing because if it is "Euclidean" invariant then it cannot be simultaneously Lorentz invariant?!
Yes.

Frank Castle said:
So would it be correct to say that a hard cut-off introduces an energy scale, which is not Lorentz invariant (since energy is not a Lorentz invariant quantity)?
It wouldn't be wrong.

Related to Momentum cut-off regularisation & Lorentz invariance

1. What is momentum cut-off regularisation?

Momentum cut-off regularisation is a technique used in quantum field theory to deal with divergent integrals that arise in calculations. It involves imposing a cut-off on the momenta of virtual particles in a Feynman diagram, which limits the range of integration and helps to eliminate the divergence.

2. Why is momentum cut-off regularisation necessary?

Momentum cut-off regularisation is necessary because quantum field theory predicts infinite quantities, such as the mass and charge of particles, which cannot be observed in experiments. These infinities arise due to the infinite number of particles and interactions involved in calculations, and momentum cut-off regularisation is one way to deal with them.

3. What is Lorentz invariance?

Lorentz invariance is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of physics should remain the same for all observers moving at a constant velocity. This means that the speed of light is the same for all observers, and the laws of physics should be the same in all inertial reference frames.

4. How does momentum cut-off regularisation affect Lorentz invariance?

Momentum cut-off regularisation does not affect Lorentz invariance as long as the cut-off is done in a Lorentz-invariant way. This means that the cut-off should not depend on the direction or magnitude of the momentum, but only on its absolute value. As long as this condition is met, the resulting calculations will still be consistent with the principles of Lorentz invariance.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using momentum cut-off regularisation?

One limitation of momentum cut-off regularisation is that it can lead to non-physical results if the cut-off is chosen improperly. It also requires careful handling of the cut-off in order to maintain Lorentz invariance. Additionally, there are other regularisation techniques that may be more suitable for certain calculations, so momentum cut-off regularisation is not always the best choice.