Momentum/Collision/Energy Questions

• Thread starter physicswannab
  • Start date
In summary: Think about how the inertia of Puck 1 affects the collision and use that to determine the final speed of Puck 2.
physicswannab
The following three questions are from my physics class regarding collisions:

1. A person attempts to knock down a large wooden bowling pin by throwing a ball at it. The person has two balls of equal size and mass, one made of rubber and the other of putty. The rubber ball bounces back, while the ball of putty sticks to the pin. Which ball is most likely to topple the bowling pin?

I'm thinking that either one since they both had the same amount of momentum/energy before the collisions, but I'm just not sure...

2. Think fast! You've just driven around a curve in a narrow, one-way street at 25 mph when you notice a car identical to yours coming straight toward you at 25 mph. You have only two options: hitting the other car head on or swerving into a massive concrete wall, also head on. In the split second before the impact, you decide to
a. hit the other car.
b. hit the wall.
c. hit either one-it makes no difference.

I want to say c because my change in momentum would be the same. again...just not sure.

3. Two pucks collide on a frictionless surface. Puck 1 has twice the inertia of Puck 2. Before the collision, Puck 1 is moving at 20 m/s. Following the collision, the speed of Puck 2 is:

a. less than the initial speed of Puck 1
b. greater than the initial speed of Puck 1
c. equal to the initial speed of Puck 1
d. could be any of the answers above
e. none of the above

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
physicswannab said:
The following three questions are from my physics class regarding collisions:

1. A person attempts to knock down a large wooden bowling pin by throwing a ball at it. The person has two balls of equal size and mass, one made of rubber and the other of putty. The rubber ball bounces back, while the ball of putty sticks to the pin. Which ball is most likely to topple the bowling pin?

I'm thinking that either one since they both had the same amount of momentum/energy before the collisions, but I'm just not sure...

True, so you must have to base your answer on the momentum/energy after the collision - i would go with momentum

2. Think fast! You've just driven around a curve in a narrow, one-way street at 25 mph when you notice a car identical to yours coming straight toward you at 25 mph. You have only two options: hitting the other car head on or swerving into a massive concrete wall, also head on. In the split second before the impact, you decide to
a. hit the other car.
b. hit the wall.
c. hit either one-it makes no difference.

I want to say c because my change in momentum would be the same. again...just not sure.

Can you be sure the change will be the same? Justify that answer

3. Two pucks collide on a frictionless surface. Puck 1 has twice the inertia of Puck 2. Before the collision, Puck 1 is moving at 20 m/s. Following the collision, the speed of Puck 2 is:

a. less than the initial speed of Puck 1
b. greater than the initial speed of Puck 1
c. equal to the initial speed of Puck 1
d. could be any of the answers above
e. none of the above

OK, try a few examples and see what you get. Twice the inertia means twice the mass. Do these pucks bounce off each other elastically or stick together?
For starters have puck 2 stationary, and the collision head on.
Now try Puck 2 tavelling at the same speed and approaching
Now try puck 2 traveling slower and approaching
Now try puck 2 traveling faster and approaching
Now try puck 2 traveling slower, but in the same direction.
Doe sthe answer meet the same condition every time?
Can you think of an example where the answer would be different?

Thanks!

Some suggestions above.

Related to Momentum/Collision/Energy Questions

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. In other words, it is a measure of how difficult it is to stop an object's motion.

What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system (a system with no external forces acting on it) remains constant. This means that the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

How do you calculate momentum?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. The unit of momentum is kg*m/s.

What happens to the momentum in a collision?

In a collision, the total momentum of the objects involved remains constant. This means that if one object gains momentum, another object must lose an equal amount of momentum. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy (such as heat or sound) and is not conserved. However, momentum is still conserved in both elastic and inelastic collisions.