Momentum and relative distance

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two objects, A and B, with different masses and coefficients of kinetic friction. Object A is placed on top of object B and is given an initial velocity, causing it to slide on the surface of B. Eventually, A comes to rest with respect to B and the two objects move together with a constant speed. The conversation then delves into the equations and calculations used to find the distance between the left side of B and the point where A comes to rest with respect to B. The final answer for this distance is found to be SA/B = \frac{Mv^{2}_{0}}{2μ'g(M+m)}, where M is the mass of object B and m is the
IIK*JII

Homework Statement

The attached figure below shows object A (mass,m), which is placed on a table, and wagon B (mass,M), which is in contact with the table. The top of the table and the top of the wagon are at the same height. A is made to slide on the table so that it transfers to the top of B with speed v0. At that instant, A begins sliding on the top of B, and B begins to move on the floor. Shortly afterwards, A comes to rest with respect to B, and A and B then travel with a constant speed. The coefficient of kinetic friction between A and the top of B is μ'. B moves smoothly on the floor. The size of A is negligible.

What is the distance from the left side of B to the point where A came to rest with respect to B?

Homework Equations

Non-conservation energy due to friction between A and B;
ƩE2-ƩE1=Work ...(1)

Momentum conserve(non elastic collision)
ƩP1=ƩP2 ..(2)

SA/B=SA-SB ..(3)

The Attempt at a Solution

I) When A slides on B surface, I find SA by using (1)
0-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mav[itex]^{2}_{0}[/itex]=-μ'magSa

∴SA=[itex]\frac{v^{2}_{0}}{2gμ'}[/itex] ...(4)
II) A and B move together after collision
From (2), I got the velocity(v') after collision
v'=mv0/m+M

Using (1) again to find displacement of B (B moves by friction of A and B)
Thus, -[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](m+M)([itex]\frac{mv^{2}_{0}}{m+M}[/itex])^2 = -μ'mgSB

∴SB=[itex]\frac{mv^{2}_{0}}{2μ'g(m+M)}[/itex]
and SA/B= SA-SB =[itex]\frac{Mv^{2}_{0}}{2μ'g(M+m)}[/itex]

Is it right?? Who can tell me that my procedure to solve this problem is correct??

help is appreciate :))
Thanks a lot

Attachments

• momentum2.JPG
    momentum2.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 352
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain why you set the final kinetic energy of block A equal to 0? Relative to the earth, block A never comes to rest. Seems to me that you need to stick to one frame of reference. So, if you say that the initial velocity of A is vo, then you are using the Earth frame of reference. If you stay in the Earth frame of reference, the final velocity of A will not be zero.

Also, I don't understand why you're lumping the masses together when finding the distance B moves. Shouldn't you just use the mass of B alone for M in [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]Mv'2?

However, when I work the problem I get the same final answer as you do! So, maybe your method is ok. But I don't follow it.

TSny

I think I misunderstood with this problem because I think velocity of A = 0 relative to the Earth so I set final kinetic energy of A = 0. Because of this I understand that 2 masses (A and B) stick together too...

What's the equation did you set?

In the Earth frame block A has a final velocity of

v' = [itex]\frac{mvo}{m+M}[/itex]

So, it seems to me that in your first equation under "The attempt of a solution" your zero should be replaced by the kinetic energy of block A when it has its final velocity. Does that seem right to you?

When setting up the similar equation for block B, I think you should use just the mass M of block B rather than (m+M) when setting up the final kinetic energy of block B: [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]Mv'2. Does that also seem right?

If I make these changes and work through the algebra, I get different answers than you did for Sa and Sb. But I get the same answer as you did for the difference: Sa - Sb! :bugeye: I find that kind of amazing.

In block B: Did you set equation of energy like this

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]M(v')2=μmgSB

v'=[itex]\frac{mv0}{m+M}[/itex]

∴SB=[itex]\frac{mMv^{2}_{0}}{2μg(m+M)^2}[/itex]
and from your mentioned in #2, I get SA=v[itex]^{2}_{0}[/itex](mM+M2)/2μg(m+M)2

but when I find SA/B I can't eliminate M2 term...

I get (2mM + M2) rather than (mM + M2) in the numerator of the expression for SA. I agree with your expression for SB.

now I get SA like you get :) This is from my wrong calculation

but when find SA/B, I can't manage the answer as you can :((

Oh! now I can do it!

Thank you :)

Related to Momentum and relative distance

1. What is momentum and how is it calculated?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. How is momentum related to distance?

Momentum is related to distance through the concept of relative distance. This refers to the distance an object has traveled in relation to another object or point of reference. Momentum can change depending on the relative distance between objects.

3. Can an object have momentum without moving?

No, an object must be in motion to have momentum. Even if an object is stationary, it still has momentum relative to other objects or points of reference.

4. How does momentum affect collisions?

Momentum is conserved in collisions, meaning that the total momentum before and after a collision remains the same. This can be seen in situations like billiard balls, where the momentum of one ball is transferred to another upon collision.

5. How does relative distance affect the momentum of celestial bodies?

Relative distance plays a crucial role in determining the momentum and motion of celestial bodies. The gravitational pull between objects is dependent on their relative distance, and this affects how they move and interact with each other.