Momentum and collision related problem

In summary, the rescuer will use a swing to swing down to the trapped dog and then swing back to the other side of the river. To make the jump to the other side, the rescuer will need a ladder that is at least 5.0 m high.
Finn007
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
25.0-kg dog is trapped on a rock in the middle of a narrow river. A 66.0-kg rescuer has assembled a swing with negligible mass that she will use to swing down and catch the trapped dog at the bottom of her swing, and then continue swinging to the other side of the river. The ledge that the rescuer swings from is 5.0 m above the rock, which is not high enough so the rescuer and dog together can reach the other side of the river, which is 3.0 m above the rock. However, the rescuer can use a ladder to increase the height from which she swings. What is the minimum height of the ladder the rescuer must use so both dog and rescuer make it to the other side of the river? Assume that friction and air resistance are negligible.

Finn007.jpg

So far I've tried:

mrg(h1+hl = (mr+md)gh2

but it seems to be giving a negative height for the ladder

Attachments

• media%2F721%2F721f858b-e4f9-402f-a73d-4d2c90d6c233%2Fimage.jpg
    media%2F721%2F721f858b-e4f9-402f-a73d-4d2c90d6c233%2Fimage.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 519
  • Finn007.jpg
    Finn007.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,052
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Finn, :welcome:

Please use the template provided -- as described in the guidelines its use is mandatory

Finn007 said:
but it seems to be giving a negative height for the ladder
Oh, does it ? Show your work, please

BvU said:
Hello Finn, :welcome:

Please use the template provided -- as described in the guidelines its use is mandatory

Oh, does it ? Show your work, please

hl = (((mr+md)h2)/mr)-h1 = (((66+25)3)/66)-5 = -0.8636

Finn007 said:
hl = (((mr+md)h2)/mr)-h1 = (((66+25)3)/66)-5 = -0.8636
Can you describe in words, what you are basing that equation on? It looks like a conservation of energy argument. But is energy conserved?

Well, if the outcome is somewhat unexpected, then perhaps there is something amiss in the assumptions ... :rolleyes:
What were they ? (in other words: what is the assumption in the expression you used ?)

BvU said:
Well, if the outcome is somewhat unexpected, then perhaps there is something amiss in the assumptions ... :rolleyes:
What were they ? (in other words: what is the assumption in the expression you used ?)
jbriggs444 said:
Can you describe in words, what you are basing that equation on? It looks like a conservation of energy argument. But is energy conserved?
I think that energy is conserved based on my assumption but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Finn007 said:
I think that energy is conserved based on my assumption but I'm not sure.
Have you covered elastic and inelastic collisions in your coursework? If a rescuer collides with a dog and both move off together, which kind is it?

jbriggs444 said:
Have you covered elastic and inelastic collisions in your coursework? If a rescuer collides with a dog and both move off together, which kind is it?
Inelastic? But I'm not sure which equations to use that could help me find the height. I was thinking m1v1i = (m1+m2)V

Finn007 said:
Inelastic? But I'm not sure which equations to use that could help me find the height. I was thinking m1v1i = (m1+m2)V
It would be helpful if you could add some words instead of simply writing down an equation. It seems that you are using conservation of momentum for the event of the collision. That is a good move. If you know the rescuer's velocity prior to the event, you can use that equation to determine the rescuer+dog's velocity after.

[It is also helpful to define your variable names and what they mean. What is obvious to you may not be as obvious to your reader]

Now you just have to figure out v1i (the velocity of the rescuer as he arrives at the dog). Perhaps a conservation of energy approach would work...

jbriggs444 said:
It would be helpful if you could add some words instead of simply writing down an equation. It seems that you are using conservation of momentum for the event of the collision. That is a good move. If you know the rescuer's velocity prior to the event, you can use that equation to determine the rescuer+dog's velocity after.

[It is also helpful to define your variable names and what they mean. What is obvious to you may not be as obvious to your reader]

Now you just have to figure out v1i (the velocity of the rescuer as he arrives at the dog). Perhaps a conservation of energy approach would work...
So how would I connect finding v1i to the height? Should I use KE = mv2/2 and GPE = mgh?

Finn007 said:
So how would I connect finding v1i to the height? Should I use KE = mv2/2 and GPE = mgh?
Yes, that is what I would do.

jbriggs444 said:
jbriggs444 said:
Can I assume that mv2/2 = mgh and v is v1i?

Finn007 said:
Can I assume that mv2/2 = mgh?
At the risk of repeating myself: use your words. For example...

You are invoking conservation of energy. No mechanical energy is lost as the rescuer swings from his starting perch to the position of the dog. We can justify that because the tension of the rope is at right angles to his path (no motion in direction of force means no work is done by the force) and because we assume that air resistance is negligible.

That means that ending mechanical energy is equal to starting mechanical energy.

The starting mechanical energy consists of kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy. We can write down an equation for that in terms of the initial velocity ##v_i## and the initial height ##h_i##

$$E_{i}=\frac{1}{2}mv_i^2 + mgh_i$$

The ending mechanical energy consists of kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy. We can write down an equation for that in terms of the final velocity ##v_f## and the final height ##h_f##.

$$E_{f}=\frac{1}{2}mv_f^2 + mgh_f$$

But we already know that ##E_i=E_f## so we can equate the two and rearrange terms:

$$\frac{1}{2}mv_f^2 + mgh_f = \frac{1}{2}mv_i^2 + mgh_i$$
$$\frac{1}{2}mv_f^2 - \frac{1}{2}mv_i^2 = mg(h_i-h_f)$$

But the initial velocity is zero. And we can choose coordinates where the final height is 0. If we then call the initial height "h", and the final velocity "v", this becomes:

$$\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = mgh$$

So you do not need to assume that mv2/2 = mgh. You can demonstrate it for the situation at hand.

jbriggs444 said:
At the risk of repeating myself: use your words. For example...

You are invoking conservation of energy. No mechanical energy is lost as the rescuer swings from his starting perch to the position of the dog. We can justify that because the tension of the rope is at right angles to his path (no motion in direction of force means no work is done by the force) and because we assume that air resistance is negligible.

That means that ending mechanical energy is equal to starting mechanical energy.

The starting mechanical energy consists of kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy. We can write down an equation for that in terms of the initial velocity ##v_i## and the initial height ##h_i##

$$E_{i}=mv_i^2 + mgh_i$$

The ending mechanical energy consists of kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy. We can write down an equation for that in terms of the final velocity ##v_f## and the final height ##h_f##.

$$E_{f}=mv_f^2 + mgh_f$$

But we already know that ##E_i=E_f## so we can equate the two and rearrange terms:

$$mv_f^2 + mgh_f = mv_i^2 + mgh_i$$
$$mv_f^2 - mv_i^2 = mg(h_i-h_f)$$

But the initial velocity is zero. And we can choose coordinates where the final height is 0. If we then call the initial height "h", and the final velocity "v", this becomes:

$$mv^2 = mgh$$

So you do not need to assume that mv2 = mgh. You can demonstrate it for the situation at hand.

Ohhh, okay.

So I'm doing first:
vf2 = sqrt(2gh) = sqrt(2(9.8)(3)) = 7.7
for finding the velocity when they land at the other side.

Then use V = 7.7:
v1i = ((m1+m2)V)/m1 = ((66+25)/7.7)/66 = 10.6
for finding the velocity just before the rescuer reaches the dog.

Then use v = 10.6
h = v2/2g = (10.6)2/2(9.8) = 5.7

So the ladder height should be 5.7 - 5 = 0.7?

Finn007 said:
So I'm doing first:
vf2 = sqrt(2gh) = sqrt(2(9.8)(3)) = 7.7
for finding the velocity when they land at the other side.
So you are working backward. You know they land together on a 3 meter high platform with zero velocity. So they must have swung upward with a starting velocity of 7.7 meters per second^2 just after the pick-up.

[You are working with numbers. It is usually better to stick with algebra and variable names until the very end and plug in numbers as a final step. It makes errors in the algebra easier to spot and helps you see where things cancel. In particular, I believe you will find that g cancels out. The two places where you multiplied or divided by 9.8 were wasted arithmetic]

Then use V = 7.7:
That looks good as well.
Then use v = 10.6
h = v2/2g = (10.6)2/2(9.8) = 5.7

So the ladder height should be 5.7 - 5 = 0.7?
Yes. Without carefully checking the arithmetic, it all looks correct.

I believe you have found the intended answer, but
Finn007 said:
That's a collision speed of 38kph. Perhaps not the wisest of rescue attempts.

Alternate method:

Energy loss during "collide and coalesce" collision given by $$ ½μΔv^2 $$ where $$ μ = \frac{m_1m_2}{m_1+m_2} $$ and Δv is the relative velocity between the colliding objects - in this case equal to ## \sqrt{2gh_1} ##. Thus $$ m_1gh_1-½ \frac{m_1m_2}{m_1+m_2}\times 2gh_1=(m_1+m_2)gh_2 $$. From which ## h_1 ## can be determined.

Related to Momentum and collision related problem

What is momentum?

Momentum is a property of an object that describes its motion. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity. In other words, momentum measures how difficult it is to stop or change the direction of an object's motion.

How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v). The formula for momentum is p = m * v. Momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum of all objects before a collision is equal to the total momentum of all objects after the collision. This means that momentum is always conserved, or remains constant, during a collision.

How is collision related to momentum?

In a collision, two or more objects come into contact with each other and exchange momentum. The law of conservation of momentum applies to collisions, meaning the total momentum of the objects before and after the collision will be the same.

How can momentum be used to solve collision related problems?

Momentum can be used to analyze and solve problems involving collisions. By applying the law of conservation of momentum and using the formula for momentum, the velocities of objects before and after a collision can be calculated. This information can then be used to determine the outcome of the collision and solve related problems.