Moments question -- Two workers moving a scaffolding

• Thread starter Rumplestiltskin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moments
In summary: Nm anticlockwise.In summary, the worker at the end of the pole is exerting a force of 73.5 N to keep the pole from moving.
Rumplestiltskin

Homework Statement

Two workers are moving a 20kg , 10m scaffolding pole. One stands at the end, the other stands 2.0m from the other end. Calculate the force exerted by the worker standing at the end in holding the pole.
Assume the mass is distributed evenly and g = 9.8 m/s2.

Homework Equations

Σclockwise = Σanticlockwise

The Attempt at a Solution

20kg * 9.8m/s2 = 196 N
Taking the centre of the pole as pivot, one worker is 3m from the pivot and the other is 5m. Therefore:
3F1 = 5F2
With the mass distributed evenly, that's 2 kg/m through the pole.
I don't know the rest, my teacher is making a habit of throwing us in the deep end without much instruction. I can see the point, though. Hope it pays off.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should always pick the unknown force as the pivot if you have more than two unknown forces. By doing so, you eliminate one of the forces and you are left with one unknown to find. Try the problem again but use the person standing 2.0m from the other end as the pivot, this way you can find the force exerted by the person at the very end of the pole directly!

Likes Rumplestiltskin
Rumplestiltskin said:
Σclockwise = Σanticlockwise
Good. That's one of the conditions for equilibrium. What's another?

Rumplestiltskin said:
20kg * 9.8m/s2 = 196 N
Taking the centre of the pole as pivot, one worker is 3m from the pivot and the other is 5m. Therefore:
3F1 = 5F2
Good. Hint: What must F1 and F2 add to?

As faradayscat suggests, you can save effort by wisely picking your pivot point. But you should be able to solve it using any pivot point.

Likes Rumplestiltskin
faradayscat said:
You should always pick the unknown force as the pivot if you have more than two unknown forces. By doing so, you eliminate one of the forces and you are left with one unknown to find. Try the problem again but use the person standing 2.0m from the other end as the pivot, this way you can find the force exerted by the person at the very end of the pole directly!

Didn't even know you could move the pivot. I should look this stuff up on YouTube.
The moment to the left of that guy is going to be 2m(4kg * 9.8ms-2) = 78.4 Nm anticlockwise. The moment to the right generated by the pole is 8m(16kg * 9.8ms-2) = 1254.4 Nm clockwise. All we want is the force so 1254.4 / 8 = 156.8 N. Unsure how to continue but I'll do my own reading and come back to this.

Doc Al said:
Good. That's one of the conditions for equilibrium. What's another?
Good. Hint: What must F1 and F2 add to?

All forces must balance.
196 N.

Rumplestiltskin said:
The moment to the left of that guy is going to be 2m(4kg * 9.8ms-2) = 78.4 Nm anticlockwise.
Careful. Only the very end of the board will be 2m away from the pivot.

Hint: What point along the board can you consider its full weight to be acting?
Rumplestiltskin said:
All forces must balance.
196 N.
Good. Express that mathematically. Combine that with your other equation and you can solve for F1 and F2.

Likes Rumplestiltskin
Doc Al said:
Careful. Only the very end of the board will be 2m away from the pivot.

Hint: What point along the board can you consider its full weight to be acting?

Right, centre of mass, 1m. So 1m * 4kg * 9.8ms-2 = 39.2 Nm anticlockwise.

Good. Express that mathematically. Combine that with your other equation and you can solve for F1 and F2.

Total anticlockwise moment = 39.2 Nm + Force exerted by guy at the end.
Total clockwise moment = 0 + (4m * 16kg * 9.8ms-2) = 627.2 Nm
39.2 + F = 627.2
F = 587.9 Nm
587.9 / 8 = 73.5 N

Marked incorrect by the computer, redid the calculations with more sig figs until it was marked correct. Thanks!

What will be the weight of the pole being carried by the worker 2m from the end of the pole

Rumplestiltskin said:
587.9 / 8 = 73.5 N

Marked incorrect by the computer, redid the calculations with more sig figs until it was marked correct. Thanks!
Strange... since the data given are only to two sig figs, it should have been happy with rounding to 74N.

Rumplestiltskin said:
Right, centre of mass, 1m. So 1m * 4kg * 9.8ms-2 = 39.2 Nm anticlockwise.
Total anticlockwise moment = 39.2 Nm + Force exerted by guy at the end.
Total clockwise moment = 0 + (4m * 16kg * 9.8ms-2) = 627.2 Nm
39.2 + F = 627.2
F = 587.9 Nm
587.9 / 8 = 73.5 N

Hi, if its not too much of a bother. Could you please explain to me where the 1m came from, I am not quite sure since the pole is 10m long, (but with the person at the end it techinically becomes 8m long), the man is still. NEVERMIND I JUST UNDERSTOOD WHY

Likes berkeman
PhyicsStudent1 said:
Hi, if its not too much of a bother. Could you please explain to me where the 1m came from, I am not quite sure since the pole is 10m long, (but with the person at the end it techinically becomes 8m long), the man is still. NEVERMIND I JUST UNDERSTOOD WHY
Wait can you tell me? I am stuck on this

Himaya said:
Wait can you tell me? I am stuck on this
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Please start a new thread here in the schoolwork forums with your question. Be sure to fill out the Template that you are provided, including listing the Relevant Equations and show your Attempt at the Solution. We're happy to help as long as you show your work first. Thanks.

Related to Moments question -- Two workers moving a scaffolding

1. How do the moments of the two workers affect the stability of the scaffolding?

The moments created by the two workers can either add to or counteract each other, which can affect the stability of the scaffolding. If the moments are in the same direction, they can cause the scaffolding to tilt or become unbalanced. If the moments are in opposite directions, they can help keep the scaffolding stable.

2. What factors can influence the moments created by the two workers?

The distance between the workers and the center of gravity of the scaffolding, as well as the weight and positioning of the workers, can influence the moments created. The type and condition of the scaffolding can also play a role in the stability of the moments.

3. How can the moments of the two workers be calculated?

The moments can be calculated by multiplying the force applied by the workers by the distance between their point of application and the center of gravity of the scaffolding. This will give the magnitude and direction of the moments.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when moving a scaffolding with two workers?

It is important to ensure that the workers are evenly distributed and positioned on the scaffolding to prevent unequal moments. The scaffolding should also be inspected and secured properly before and during the movement. Communication between the workers is crucial to ensure coordinated movements and prevent accidents.

5. How can the stability of the scaffolding be improved when moving it with two workers?

One way to improve the stability is to increase the distance between the workers and the center of gravity of the scaffolding. This can be done by having one worker move to a different position or by using counterweights. It is also important to move slowly and carefully, and to have a clear plan and communication between the workers.