Moments of Inertia of non-uniform rod

In summary, the rod of mass M and length L is supported by a smooth horizontal floor and leans against a smooth vertical wall. The mass density increases linearly with p=kr where r is the distance from the wall and k is a positive constant. A beam is released from a position of rest at 60 degrees to the downward vertical and the energy conservation equation of the beam must be solved.
slasakai

Homework Statement

a rod of mass M and length L is supported by a smooth horizontal floor and leans against a smooth vertical wall, the mass density increases linearly with p=kr where r is the distance from the wall and k is a positive constant.
a.finf the moment of inertia of the rod with respect to the centre of mass.
b.the beam is released from a position of rest, at 60 degrees to the downward vertical, find the energy conservation equation of the beam.

Homework Equations

I=∫r^2 dm

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a, I considered a small length of rod, dl, and its mass as dm=(m/l)*dl

and using the fact that density ,p=m/l , m=krl

giving dm=kr dl , here's where I got stuck - I assumed that since dl and dr would be proportional you could simply replace dl with dr in this equation and integrate for mass and moment of inertia etc. doing it this way I got an answer for moment of inertia = (1/2)ML^2 which looks OK. But I am very uncertain about substituting dl for dr.

for part b I'm not completely sure how to even approach this, it would be wonderful if someone could verify my approach and perhaps give me a hint for part b.

thanks in advance,

Physics news on Phys.org
slasakai said:

Homework Statement

a rod of mass M and length L is supported by a smooth horizontal floor and leans against a smooth vertical wall, the mass density increases linearly with p=kr where r is the distance from the wall and k is a positive constant.
a. Find the moment of inertia of the rod with respect to the centre of mass.

b. The beam is released from a position of rest, at 60 degrees to the downward vertical. Find the energy conservation equation of the beam.

Homework Equations

I=∫r^2 dm

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a, I considered a small length of rod, dl, and its mass as dm=(m/l)*dl

and using the fact that density ,p=m/l , m=krl

giving dm=kr dl , here's where I got stuck - I assumed that since dl and dr would be proportional you could simply replace dl with dr in this equation and integrate for mass and moment of inertia etc. doing it this way I got an answer for moment of inertia = (1/2)ML^2 which looks OK. But I am very uncertain about substituting dl for dr.

for part b I'm not completely sure how to even approach this, it would be wonderful if someone could verify my approach and perhaps give me a hint for part b.

thanks in advance,
Of course it's fine to use dl for dr.

What is the location of the center of mass ?

I worked out that COM is (KL^3/3M) along the rod

SammyS said:
Of course it's fine to use dl for dr.

What is the location of the center of mass ?

slasakai said:
That can be expressed solely in terms of L, without M or k .

What is the mass of the rod, M, in terms of L and k ?

the mass M=1/2 * KL^2

Last edited:
slasakai said:
the mass M=KLr , from density equation

No. If you replace dr with dl in the integral, then you need to replace r with l for the density in that integral.

SammyS said:
No. If you replace dr with dl in the integral, then you need to replace r with l for the density in that integral.

sorry, I was reading that of my old piece of working, I have the correct answer up now :)

SammyS said:

BUT to be honest with you I'm getting myself more and more confused with this question, I''m not really sure where I'm going anymore with it. I Do you know the correct answer?

slasakai said:
the mass M=1/2 * KL^2
slasakai said:
Sorry, I was reading that of my old piece of working. I have the correct answer up now :)
It's easier for people to follow a thread at a later date if you don't use the "Edit" feature to change a post after it's been responded to. (Some typo's may be edited after the fact to make things clear.)

You previously had M=KLr .

Now substitute the expression, 1/2 * KL^2, for M into your expression for the location of the center (centre) of mass.

SammyS said:
It's easier for people to follow a thread at a later date if you don't use the "Edit" feature to change a post after it's been responded to. (Some typo's may be edited after the fact to make things clear.)

You previously had M=KLr .

Now substitute the expression, 1/2 * KL^2, for M into your expression for the location of the center (centre) of mass.
Oh sorry I didn't realize.
yep, did that and managed to get L/3 for COM, and managed the rest of the question! Thanks for your help

Related to Moments of Inertia of non-uniform rod

1. What is the definition of moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia of an object is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is calculated by summing the product of the mass of each particle in the object and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a non-uniform rod calculated?

The moment of inertia of a non-uniform rod is calculated by dividing the rod into infinitesimal segments and summing the contribution of each segment to the overall moment of inertia. This integral can be written as ∫r^2 dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the segment and dm is the mass of the segment.

3. How does the distribution of mass affect the moment of inertia of a non-uniform rod?

The distribution of mass along the length of the rod can greatly affect the moment of inertia. The farther the mass is from the axis of rotation, the larger the contribution to the moment of inertia. This means that a non-uniform rod with more mass concentrated towards the ends will have a larger moment of inertia than a rod with a more evenly distributed mass.

4. What is the difference between moment of inertia and mass moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, while mass moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion. Mass moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia by the density of the material.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a non-uniform rod be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a non-uniform rod can be changed by altering the distribution of mass along its length. This can be done by adding or removing mass at different points along the rod. The moment of inertia can also be changed by changing the axis of rotation.