Moments of inertia of a rectangular plate

In summary: The axis through the corners of the square has the same moment of inertia as the axes through the center and the center of the sides.
Karol

Homework Statement

Show that the moment of inertia of a rectangular plate round it's diagonal, line B-B is equal to the one round a line parallel to one of the edges and passing through the center, line C-C

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia: ##I=mr^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first case, round the diagonal: the MOI of a straight angle and isosceles triangle round one of the 2 identical edges is ##I=\frac{1}{6}ma^2##, and if i divide the plate into 4 such rectangles and calculate MOI it equals the one round line C-C.
But is there an easier way?

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 614
Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on your background knowledge, the symmetry of the square will tell you that they have to be equal.

Orodruin said:
Depending on your background knowledge, the symmetry of the square will tell you that they have to be equal.
I have little background knowledge, please hint the subject that i have to study, is it principal axes? as far as i (think) i know i can't know anything about the MOI itself around principal axis, especially if they aren't orthogonal, but i am not sure.
Please guide me to a book or publication that explains this topic, but, if possible, without the complexity of determinants, tensors etc.

Last edited:
You can do it with principal axes, but all that is required is noting that an axis through the corners is a linear combination of the axes through the center and the center of the sides, which must have the same moment of inertia due to symmetry.

Orodruin said:
all that is required is noting that an axis through the corners is a linear combination of the axes through the center and the center of the sides, which must have the same moment of inertia due to symmetry.
So i just have to know the formula for modifying MOI with the changing of the angle of the axis?

If you want to call it a formula, fine. The point is that any axis in the plane of the square has the same moment of inertia because the axes spanning the plane do.

Related to Moments of inertia of a rectangular plate

1. What is the definition of moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia of a body is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion around a specific axis. It is similar to mass in linear motion, but in rotational motion.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a rectangular plate calculated?

The moment of inertia of a rectangular plate can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the plate by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This distance is known as the radius of gyration.

3. How does the shape of a rectangular plate affect its moment of inertia?

The shape of a rectangular plate can greatly affect its moment of inertia. A longer and thinner plate will have a larger moment of inertia than a shorter and wider plate with the same mass, as the mass is distributed further away from the axis of rotation.

4. How does the mass distribution of a rectangular plate impact its moment of inertia?

The distribution of mass in a rectangular plate can also affect its moment of inertia. A plate with more mass concentrated towards its edges will have a larger moment of inertia than a plate with the same mass evenly distributed throughout.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding moments of inertia of a rectangular plate?

Understanding moments of inertia of a rectangular plate is important in many fields, such as engineering and physics. It can be used to design structures that can withstand rotational forces, or to calculate the rotational motion of objects such as spinning tops or rotating machinery.