Moments of inertia in image processing

In summary: It's possible that other tools might exist as well, but I'm not familiar with them.In summary, the problem is trying to quantize the blob-iness of pixels. The professor suggested finding the eigenvalues of the inertial matrix, but is not sure what the eigenvalues represent.
psycovic23
Hi,

I'm currently working on an imaging problem that oddly requires some physics. Basically, I'm given a set of gray scale pixels and I have to determine whether they're a fiber or just random noise. My question is, how do I calculate the moment of inertia of the pixels while considering their gray scale value? I know how to calculate a uniform moment of inertia ([tex]\sum r^{2}[/tex]), but not when I have to consider discrete, non uniform weights to each pixel.

A continuation of that part is, how might I quantize the "blob-iness" of the pixels? A professor suggested finding the eigenvalues of the inertial matrix [m_x m_xy; m_xy m_y], but I'm not entirely sure what the eigenvalues end up representing. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I found this to be a very confusing question with regards to the moment of inertia and imaging until I pondered "grey scale"

Are you referring to an electron microscope?

What you are trying to do is a fairly standard analysis, and many programs out there (MatLab, ImageJ, etc) have routines for this already. Essentially, you are weighting the calculation by intensity rather than mass, but the idea is the same, and the eigenvalues are the "principal axes", if you like, of the blob.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_moments

Andy Resnick said:
What you are trying to do is a fairly standard analysis, and many programs out there (MatLab, ImageJ, etc) have routines for this already. Essentially, you are weighting the calculation by intensity rather than mass, but the idea is the same, and the eigenvalues are the "principal axes", if you like, of the blob.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_moments

I'm using Matlab, but have been unable to find any functions to do it. Are there functions in the Image Processing kit that I'm missing?

I'm surprised there's not an obvious choice... the 'regionprops' tool has a few things that may work for you.

Related to Moments of inertia in image processing

1. What is a moment of inertia in image processing?

A moment of inertia in image processing is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotation. In image processing, it is used to describe the distribution of pixel values within an image, providing information about its shape, size, and orientation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated in image processing?

Moment of inertia in image processing is calculated by summing the squared distances of each pixel from the image's centroid, multiplied by the pixel's intensity value. This calculation is repeated for both the x and y axes, resulting in two moment of inertia values for the image.

3. What is the significance of moment of inertia in image processing?

The moment of inertia in image processing is a useful tool for feature extraction, as it can reveal information about an image's shape and orientation. It is also used in image segmentation and object recognition algorithms, as it can help distinguish between different objects in an image.

4. How does moment of inertia differ from other image processing techniques?

Moment of inertia differs from other image processing techniques in that it focuses on the distribution of pixel values rather than individual pixel values. This allows for more information about the overall structure and shape of an image to be extracted.

5. Can moment of inertia be used in real-time image processing applications?

Yes, moment of inertia can be used in real-time image processing applications, as it is a relatively fast calculation that can be implemented in real-time. However, the complexity of the calculation may vary depending on the size and complexity of the image, and may require optimization for real-time usage.