Moments at contact tyre patch and wheel spindle

In summary, the relevant forces are the force on the left hand side of the frame and right hand side of the frame due to the suspension and the lean angle. The torque or moments are at point A (the contact patch) and B (the wheel spindle center).
shott92
hi guys this is an image of the rear wheel of a push bike going into a corner as well as what i think are relevant forces,
i need to calculate the moments or torque at A (the contact patch) and B (the hub centre)
this is to calculate the force on the left hand side of the frame and right hand side of the frame while in a corner
Fsr = the force going through the suspension
Fc = lateral cornering forcer on the rear wheel
phi = lean angle
MG = mass & gravity
t = the cross sectional radius of the tyre

i can and have calculated the above parameters through lot of prior equations that take into account the wheelbase, velocity, friction, radius of the turn ect. but i think that the above are the require ones to calculate this... if there is an easier way please let me know

im sure its quite simple really but i have either over thought it are just been daft

cheers for any help guys but could you please explain your reasoning behind your answer so that i can verify it please

https://s.yimg.com/hd/answers/i/7c911b9cff554eabad1ca29c0f9e8161_A.jpeg?a=answers&mr=0&x=1398489477&

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your link is not visible. Site claims "Unauthorized".

the above link as an attachment

sorry the above link doesn't work as i said thought I am not 100% these are the relevant forces but i am fairly confident also tho point out this is assuming that it is a 2d diagram should be a simple moments equation really (i think) also it can be assumed the bike is stationary and that it is simple leant over with a machine applying the forces if it makes it easier to calculate...
thats the torque or moments about point A ( contact patch ) and B the wheel spindle centre
but any help would be great whether in motion stationary or anything, if you ignore the forces i have written and know another way very happy to listen to that too thanks a lot guys cheers

Attachments

• pic of cornering diagram.jpeg
    pic of cornering diagram.jpeg
    12.3 KB · Views: 538

Related to Moments at contact tyre patch and wheel spindle

What is a moment at the contact tyre patch and wheel spindle?

A moment at the contact tyre patch and wheel spindle is a force that is applied at the point where the tyre makes contact with the ground and where the wheel spindle connects to the vehicle's suspension. It is a rotational force that affects the stability and handling of the vehicle.

How does a moment at the contact tyre patch and wheel spindle affect vehicle performance?

A moment at the contact tyre patch and wheel spindle can affect the vehicle's performance in several ways. It can impact the vehicle's stability, causing it to sway or drift while driving. It can also affect the vehicle's handling, making it more difficult to steer or control. In extreme cases, a moment at the contact tyre patch and wheel spindle can even cause a loss of control or lead to accidents.

What factors can influence the magnitude of a moment at the contact tyre patch and wheel spindle?

The magnitude of a moment at the contact tyre patch and wheel spindle can be influenced by several factors, including the speed of the vehicle, the weight distribution of the vehicle, the condition of the tyres, and the type of surface the vehicle is driving on. Additionally, any unevenness or irregularities in the road can also impact the magnitude of the moment.

How can moments at the contact tyre patch and wheel spindle be reduced?

Moments at the contact tyre patch and wheel spindle can be reduced by ensuring that the vehicle's suspension and tyres are in good condition. Regular maintenance and proper alignment can help to minimize moments and ensure the vehicle's stability and handling. Additionally, driving at appropriate speeds and avoiding uneven or bumpy roads can also help to reduce moments at the contact tyre patch and wheel spindle.

What are some potential consequences of not addressing moments at the contact tyre patch and wheel spindle?

If moments at the contact tyre patch and wheel spindle are not addressed, it can lead to various consequences such as decreased stability and control of the vehicle, decreased tyre lifespan, and increased risk of accidents. It can also cause uneven wear on the tyres and other suspension components, leading to costly repairs. Therefore, it is essential to address moments at the contact tyre patch and wheel spindle to ensure safe and efficient vehicle performance.