Moments and weights of a table lamp

In summary: Because the problem statement clearly says 'weight'.I was thinking the same thing. If it's a weight, then it should be positive. Unless there's a force acting on it other than gravity, which isn't mentioned. The problem seems to be lacking some information.
Karol

Homework Statement

The weight of rod AB is 4[N] and that of piece D is 10[N]. the moment at joint C is 1.8[Nxm]. what is the weight of rod AC.

Homework Equations

Moments: ##M=F\cdot L##

The Attempt at a Solution

Rod AB doesn't contribute to the moment at C:
$$10\cdot 15+180=W_AC\cdot 5\rightarrow W_AC=66[N]$$
It's 6[N] in the book.

Attachments

• 43.jpg
    43.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 366
Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:

Homework Statement

The weight of rod AB is 4[N] and that of piece D is 10[N]. the moment at joint C is 1.8[Nxm]. what is the weight of rod AC.

Homework Equations

Are you sure about this assumption?

Draw a free body diagram of rod AC. How would you simulate the loads applied to rod AC by the rod AB and the lamp D?

It's 6[N] in the book.

[edit] sorry, no good.

Karol said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

It's 6[N] in the book.

You are correct that rod AB does not contribute to the moment at C. :smile:

But your equation isn't set up right.

You've added the total moment at point C to the individual contribution of piece D. That's not right.

Instead, you need sum all the individual contributions, and that sum will equal the total moment at point C (180 [N⋅cm]). Hint: Keep in mind the direction of each contribution; some will be positive and others negative. All contributions sum to 1.8 [N⋅m], but 1.8 [N⋅m] is not part of that sum.

---

By the way, on a separate note, if you wanted to keep both 'A' and 'C' in subscript in [itex] W_{AC} [/itex] when using [itex] \LaTeX [/itex], use curly brackets:

Code:
 W_{AC}

collinsmark said:
You've added the total moment at point C to the individual contribution of piece D. That's not right.
did you mean to say piece AC instead of piece D.

Suraj M said:
did you mean to say piece AC instead of piece D.
No, I actually meant to say piece D. My intention was to point out the particular place where things were going awry with the OP's equation.

The OP set up the equation as:
Karol said:
$$10\cdot 15+180=W_AC\cdot 5$$

Breaking that down, that's

[tex] \underbrace{10 \cdot 15}_{\mathrm{contribution \ from \ piece \ D}} + \underbrace{180}_{\mathrm{total \ moment \ at\ C}} = \underbrace{W_{AC} \cdot 5}_{\mathrm{contribution \ of \ piece \ AC}} [/tex]
but that's not correct.

Instead it should be:

[tex] \Sigma \mathrm{(each \ individual \ contribution)} = 180 [/tex]

[And again, some individual contributions may be positive and others negative depending if they are directed clockwise or counterclockwise.]

Last edited:
BvU said:
[edit] sorry, no good.
Seeing SK's reply, I (too?) quickly erased my post, which was:

How did you decide which side of the equals sign you would place the 1.8 [N m] ?

But the more I look at it, the less I like this exercise. The book answer would give me a torque on C of 0.15 x (-10) + (-0.05) x (-6) = -1.2 [N m]
(x to the right, y up, positive torque towards the viewer)

And personally I wouldn't like to answer -6 [N] for this exercise on a test.

Oops, did I spoil something now ?

Last edited:
BvU said:
And personally I wouldn't like to answer -6 [N] for this exercise on a test.

Oops, did I spoil something now ?
Oh, I see what you are saying now. Yes, something is wrong with the book; unless piece AC has some sort of upwards "buoyant" force attributed to it, giving it a negative weight. :eek:

Related to Moments and weights of a table lamp

1. What is the weight of a table lamp?

The weight of a table lamp can vary greatly depending on the size, materials, and design of the lamp. On average, a table lamp can weigh anywhere from 2-10 pounds.

2. How do I calculate the weight of a table lamp?

To calculate the weight of a table lamp, you will need to know the weight of each individual component (base, body, shade) and add them together. You can also weigh the lamp as a whole using a scale.

3. Why is the weight of a table lamp important?

The weight of a table lamp can affect its stability and safety. A heavier lamp may be less likely to tip over, while a lighter lamp may be more prone to falling over. It's important to consider the weight when choosing a table lamp for a particular location.

4. What is the significance of the moment of a table lamp?

The moment of a table lamp refers to its torque or the force that causes it to rotate around a pivot point. This is important in understanding how stable the lamp is and whether it is at risk of tipping over. A larger moment means the lamp is more likely to fall over, while a smaller moment means it is more stable.

5. How do I adjust the moment of a table lamp?

The moment of a table lamp can be adjusted by changing the position of its center of gravity. This can be done by adjusting the placement of the lamp's components, such as the base or shade. Adding weight to the base can also help increase the moment and stability of the lamp.