Moments and finding the Tension-Help

• Thread starter thoradicus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moments
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a flagpole held in a horizontal position by a cable. The problem asks for the tension in the cable and the vertical component of the force at the fixed end of the pole. The equations used to solve the problem are mentioned, as well as the attempt at a solution. The speaker also expresses confusion about the concept of the vertical component at the end of the flagpole and the impact of replacing T with its components.
thoradicus

Homework Statement

1. Homework Statement

A flagpole of mass 25kg and 2.5m in length is held in a horizontal position by a cable shown in the diagram.
The centre of gravity of the flagpole is at a distance of 1.5m from the fixed end. Determine:
a the tension T in the cable;
b the vertical component of the force at the fixed end of the pole.
1zn6ik7.jpg

Homework Equations

Moment=F*perp distance
vertical component=Fsin(theta)
Horizontal component=Fcos(theta)
clockwise=anticlockwise

The Attempt at a Solution

I did (a) and I got around 300.Please call out on me if i get this wrong.
Calculate the moments around the end of the flagpole(left hand)
clockwise moment=250*1.5=375
anti clockwise moment=T*1.25
through division etc, i get 300.

What i cannot understand is (b) What does it mean by the vertical component at the end of the flagpole?

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens when you replace T with its components? BTW, your moment calculation involving T is incorrect.

Related to Moments and finding the Tension-Help

1. How do you define a moment in physics?

A moment in physics is a measure of the turning effect produced by a force around a pivot point. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force.

2. What is the equation for calculating the tension in a string or rope?

The equation for calculating tension is T = F * sinθ, where T is the tension, F is the force applied, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of the string or rope.

3. How can moments be used to find the tension in a system?

Moments can be used to find the tension in a system by setting the sum of the clockwise moments equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments. This equation can then be solved for the unknown tension.

4. What are some common applications of moments and tension in everyday life?

Moments and tension are commonly used in everyday life in the design of structures such as bridges and buildings, as well as in engineering and construction to ensure the stability and strength of various structures. They are also important in sports, such as rock climbing, where tension is crucial for maintaining balance and support.

5. How does the distribution of weight affect moments and tension in a system?

The distribution of weight can greatly affect moments and tension in a system. The further the weight is from the pivot point, the greater the moment and tension will be. Additionally, if the weight is not evenly distributed, it can create an imbalance in the system, causing varying levels of tension and moments in different parts of the system.