Moment of inertia with triple integrals

In summary, the triple integral gives the answer (pi)b^5 / (10a^4), but the answer in spherical coordinates is different. The limits for z, r, and θ should be from ar to b, and r should be from 0 to z/a.
demonelite123
so i have to find the moment of inertia of a solid cone given by the equations z = ar and z = b by using a triple integral. The density of the cone is assumed to be 1. so the integral looks like ∫ ∫ ∫ r^2 dV. so first i did it with dV = rdrdθdz with limits r (from 0 to z/a), θ (from 0 to 2pi), and z (from 0 to b) and i got the answer (pi)b^5 / (10a^4) which seems to be right. now i am trying to do the triple integral instead with dV = rdzdrdθ. i am having trouble deciding the limits now. for z, i know that r and θ are to be kept constant so my limits for z are from ar to b. then my limits for r are from 0 to z/a and my limits for θ are from 0 to 2pi. however after doing the integrations, my answer turned out messy involving a's, b's, and z's which shouldn't be in the final answer. how do i set up the limits correctly when integrating with respect to z first, then r and theta afterwards?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, your first try r:0~z/a, θ:0~2pi, z:0~b. And first integrate r then z(or last).
why z:0~b, not z:ar~b?
The reason is we first integrate r, and r:0~z/a, or not?
Now, your secend try z:ar~b, θ:0~2pi, and r:0~z/a.
We first integrate z, why r:0~z/a appears z again?
z/a isn't a constant.

Woah, you call this an introductory physics problem??

OK, so I don't know the equation for the moment of inertia of a cone off the top of my head. But if you do your math right, then your answer from the cylindrical coordinates integral will be right, but your answer from the spherical coordinates integral will be wrong. You've got this funny equation in physics which says,

[tex]I = \int r^2dm[/tex]

But what they don't tell you is that the "r" is the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation (which you usually set to be the z axis). If you do it in spherical coordinates, you can't just assume that the r in the above integrand is the same as the r from spherical coordinates. Instead, you need to use:

[tex]I = \int [rsin(\theta)]r^2sin(\theta)drd\theta d\phi[/tex]

Multiplying r by [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] will take the component of [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] in the xy plane, which is what you want.

As for the limits of integration to use in spherical coordinates...I'm going to have to think about that one for a second. Spherical coordinates are a very unnatural way to describe a cone.

To 3#
For this problem used cylindrical coordinate maybe better.

oh i got it now. the limits on r should be from 0 to b/a. setting that limit gave me the same answer as i got before. thanks for the help everyone! :smile:

Related to Moment of inertia with triple integrals

1. What is moment of inertia with triple integrals?

Moment of inertia with triple integrals is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to calculate the distribution of mass in a three-dimensional object. It is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia with triple integrals calculated?

To calculate the moment of inertia with triple integrals, you need to first find the mass density function of the three-dimensional object. Then, you need to define the three integration limits for the x, y, and z axes. Finally, you can use the formula ∭ρ(x,y,z)(x² + y² + z²) dV to perform the triple integration and find the moment of inertia.

3. What is the physical significance of moment of inertia with triple integrals?

The moment of inertia with triple integrals is a physical property that describes how an object's mass is distributed in three-dimensional space. It is an important concept in rotational dynamics and is used to determine an object's resistance to changes in rotation.

4. How does the moment of inertia with triple integrals differ from the moment of inertia with double integrals?

The moment of inertia with triple integrals takes into account the mass distribution in all three dimensions, while the moment of inertia with double integrals only considers the mass distribution in two dimensions. This makes the triple integral method more accurate for irregularly shaped objects.

5. What are some real-life applications of moment of inertia with triple integrals?

Moment of inertia with triple integrals is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as aerospace engineering, robotics, and physics. It is essential for designing and analyzing the motion of objects that rotate in three dimensions, such as satellites, gyroscopes, and human limbs.