Moment of Inertia vs. Inertia Constant

In summary, the page 119 of the given reference defines the inertia constant for a synchronous machine as H = (1/2 J ω0^2)/S, where H is the constant of inertia (s), S is the rated power of the machine (W), ω0 is the nominal angular frequency (rad/s), and J is the moment of inertia for the rotor (kg m^2). Using this definition, J can be calculated as J = 2HS/ω0^2. However, there may be confusion as there are two different quantities referred to as the inertia constant, one being I*ω (with units of seconds) and the other being H (with units of s MW/(rad^2
hansherman
The following equations are found in the following reference (Page 119):

http://www.eeh.ee.ethz.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/eeh/studies/courses/power_system_dynamics_and_control/Documents/DynamicsPartI_lecture_notes_2012.pdf

By definition, the inertia constant for a synchronous machine is defined as

[tex] H = (1/2 J \omega_0^2) / S [/tex]

where

[tex] a) H= \text{constant of inertia } (s) [/tex]
[tex] b) S = \text{rated power of synchronous machine } (MW) [/tex]
[tex] c) \omega_0 = \text{nominal angular frequency } (rad/s) [/tex]
[tex] d) J = \text{moment of inertia for rotor } (kg m^2) [/tex]

I.e.

[tex] J = 2HS/\omega_0^2 [/tex]

can be used to find the moment of inertia. Based on the units of a), b) and c) the unit of J is

[tex] s MW/(rad^2/s^2) [/tex]

However, i cannot see that this is the same as kg/m^2, as the result is supposed to yield from d). Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint #1: Radians are unit less, so you can drop that term.
Hint #2: The watt (and hence megawatts) is a derived unit. What are its primitive units?

Hint #3: Instead of using MW (megawatts) you should just use W (watts). M is just a numerical factor of 1000000 and therefore is unitless. The Watt is the standard unit of power for the metric system.

There is no reference to this on page 119.

However, the quantity defined in your post have units of seconds (energy/power).
The confusion may be due to the fact that (at least) two different quantities may be called the same name: "inertia constant".

See for example here:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=Su3...onepage&q=inertia constant of machine&f=false

You are talking here about the second quantity, the H defined on page 540 of that book and not the first one (I*ω) which is also called inertia constant, on the same page.

I do not understand why Radians are unit less. Can anyone explain this? Thanks for the answers.

Because you divide [Length] by [Length]

θ = s /r

s is arc length (of a circle)
r is radius

EDIT:

This page has a nice graphical (animated) explanation about the radian:
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Радиан

Last edited:

Related to Moment of Inertia vs. Inertia Constant

1. What is the difference between moment of inertia and inertia constant?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion, while inertia constant is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its translational motion. In other words, moment of inertia relates to rotational motion, while inertia constant relates to linear motion.

2. How are moment of inertia and inertia constant related?

Moment of inertia and inertia constant are related by the equation: I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance of the object from the axis of rotation. This equation shows that the moment of inertia is directly proportional to the inertia constant.

3. What are the units of moment of inertia and inertia constant?

The units of moment of inertia depend on the shape of the object and are typically expressed in kg*m^2. The units of inertia constant are the same as those of mass, kg, as it is a measure of an object's mass distribution.

4. How do moment of inertia and inertia constant affect an object's motion?

The moment of inertia and inertia constant both determine an object's resistance to changes in motion. Objects with a higher moment of inertia or inertia constant will be more difficult to rotate or move, while objects with a lower moment of inertia or inertia constant will be easier to rotate or move.

5. Can moment of inertia and inertia constant be changed?

Yes, both moment of inertia and inertia constant can be changed by altering an object's mass distribution. For example, by changing the shape or distribution of mass in an object, its moment of inertia and inertia constant can be increased or decreased.