Moment of Inertia textbook workings don't make sense.

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the moment of inertia for a hollow tube in a buckling problem. The homework equation provided is I = (0.08^4 - 0.06^4)∏/64 = 1.37 x 10^-6 m4, but the person is not getting the correct answer on their calculator. The solution is that they were incorrectly entering the equation as 0.08 x10^4 instead of 0.08^4. The conversation ends with a lighthearted remark about more amateurish questions to come.
Luk-e-2012

Homework Statement

Question is about buckling, so i know i need to work out I (moment of Inertia), which is for a hollow tube.

Homework Equations

So the paper states..I = (0.08^4 - 0.06^4)∏/64 = 1.37 x 10^-6 m4

When i do that on my calculator, i don't get this answer. Puzzled...

Physics news on Phys.org

The answer is correct.

Probably mispunched a number. If you don't get the right resultinitially, try the calculation again.

What a plonker i am, i have been doing 0.08 x10^4 instead of 0.08^4 .. Can you tell i have just started studying again since school.
Thanks SteamKing - look out for more amateurish questions coming your way..haha.

Related to Moment of Inertia textbook workings don't make sense.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by summing the products of each particle's mass and its distance from the axis of rotation squared.

2. Why do the textbook workings for moment of inertia not make sense?

The textbook workings for moment of inertia may seem confusing because they involve mathematical concepts such as integration and summation. Additionally, the equations may seem abstract and difficult to visualize without a concrete example.

3. How can I better understand the concept of moment of inertia?

One way to better understand moment of inertia is to practice solving problems and working through examples. Additionally, using visual aids such as diagrams or animations can help to make the concept more tangible.

4. Do all objects have a moment of inertia?

Yes, all objects have a moment of inertia, as it is a fundamental property of matter. However, the value of moment of inertia may vary depending on the object's shape and distribution of mass.

5. How is moment of inertia relevant in real-world applications?

Moment of inertia is important in many real-world applications, such as engineering and physics. It is used to calculate the stability and strength of structures, determine the behavior of rotating machines, and understand the movement of objects in space.