Moment of Inertia? Potential and Kinetic Energy? Anybody awake?

In summary: The moment of inertial of a sphere, cylinder and hoop are different because of how the mass is distributed in each of these objects. This would affect the velocity of the object as it rolls down the incline.
riseofphoenix
I don't know how to answer these - please please please help!

Consider the following objects of mass m rolling down an incline of height h.

(a) A hoop has a moment of inertia I = (1/2)mr2. What is the equation for the velocity vhoop of the hoop at the bottom of the incline? (Use the following as necessary: m, h, r, and g.)

vhoop =

(b) A solid cylinder has a moment of inertia I = (1/2)mr2. What is the equation for the velocity vcylinder of the cylinder at the bottom of the incline? (Use the following as necessary: m, h, r, and g.)

vcylinder =

(c) We know that the velocity of the sphere at the bottom of the ramp is √ [ (10gh)/7 ] from which we can conclude that the mass of the sphere does not affect the velocity of the sphere. Which of the following statements help to explain why the equations for the velocity in the case of the rolling cylinder and rolling hoop should be different from each other and from that of the sphere? (Select all that apply.)

a) Even if all three objects had the same mass and the same radius, they would all have different moments of inertia and therefore different rotational kinetic energies, which will affect the velocity of the object as it rolls down the incline.
b) The rotational kinetic energy of a solid depends on its moment of inertia I, which will affect the velocity of the object as it rolls down the incline.
c) The moment of inertial of a sphere, cylinder and hoop are different because of how the mass is distributed in each of these objects. This would affect the velocity of the object as it rolls down the incline.

Physics news on Phys.org
riseofphoenix said:
I don't know how to answer these - please please please help!

Consider the following objects of mass m rolling down an incline of height h.

(a) A hoop has a moment of inertia I = (1/2)mr2. What is the equation for the velocity vhoop of the hoop at the bottom of the incline? (Use the following as necessary: m, h, r, and g.)

vhoop =

(b) A solid cylinder has a moment of inertia I = (1/2)mr2. What is the equation for the velocity vcylinder of the cylinder at the bottom of the incline? (Use the following as necessary: m, h, r, and g.)

vcylinder =

(c) We know that the velocity of the sphere at the bottom of the ramp is √ [ (10gh)/7 ] from which we can conclude that the mass of the sphere does not affect the velocity of the sphere. Which of the following statements help to explain why the equations for the velocity in the case of the rolling cylinder and rolling hoop should be different from each other and from that of the sphere? (Select all that apply.)

a) Even if all three objects had the same mass and the same radius, they would all have different moments of inertia and therefore different rotational kinetic energies, which will affect the velocity of the object as it rolls down the incline.
b) The rotational kinetic energy of a solid depends on its moment of inertia I, which will affect the velocity of the object as it rolls down the incline.
c) The moment of inertial of a sphere, cylinder and hoop are different because of how the mass is distributed in each of these objects. This would affect the velocity of the object as it rolls down the incline.
The moment of inertia for the hoop is mr2, not 1/2 there.

Last edited:
SammyS said:
The moment of inertia for the hoop is mr2, no 1/2 there.

Oh oops, you're right..
Do you happen to know the answer to part a, b, and c though?

SammyS said:
The moment of inertia for the hoop is mr2, no 1/2 there.

also, isn't part c all three of them (choices a, b, and c)?

I can provide some insight into these concepts. Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is affected by the mass and distribution of mass of an object. In the case of the hoop and cylinder, although they have the same moment of inertia, their mass and distribution of mass is different, which will affect their rotational kinetic energy and subsequently their velocity as they roll down the incline. This is why the equations for their velocities are different.

Furthermore, potential and kinetic energy are related concepts in the study of energy. Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. In the case of the objects rolling down the incline, they all start with the same potential energy (due to their height) but their distribution of mass and moment of inertia will determine how much of that energy is converted into kinetic energy, resulting in different velocities at the bottom of the incline.

Lastly, to answer the question "anybody awake?", I can assure you that there are scientists and individuals who are awake and actively studying and researching these concepts. I hope this helps to clarify the concepts of moment of inertia, potential and kinetic energy, and their relation to the velocity of objects rolling down an incline.

Related to Moment of Inertia? Potential and Kinetic Energy? Anybody awake?

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measurement of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How does moment of inertia affect an object's motion?

The moment of inertia of an object determines how quickly it will rotate in response to a given torque. Objects with higher moment of inertia will rotate slower than objects with lower moment of inertia.

3. What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Both potential and kinetic energy are forms of mechanical energy.

4. How is potential energy related to kinetic energy?

Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa. For example, when an object falls from a height, its potential energy decreases as it gains kinetic energy. When it reaches the ground, all of its potential energy has been converted into kinetic energy.

5. Why is it important to understand potential and kinetic energy?

Understanding potential and kinetic energy is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and everyday life. It allows us to understand and predict how objects will behave in different situations, such as how fast an object will fall or how much energy is needed to move an object. It also helps us develop technologies such as renewable energy sources and transportation systems.