Moment of inertia of solid sphere

In summary, the conversation is about finding the moment of inertia of a uniform density solid sphere about the z-axis. The individual is trying to integrate using x^2 dm, where x is the perpendicular distance from the z-axis to anywhere in the sphere. They are having trouble converting z to a variable and are considering using z = rcos θ. However, they are unsure of how to proceed with the integration and are seeking help. The conversation also references a resource for figuring out the integration and a thread discussing a similar topic.
quietrain
Hi, i am trying to find the moment of inertia of a uniform density solid sphere about z-axis

I = integrate => x^2 dm

x = perpendicular distance from z-axis to anywhere in sphere
so by pythagorus theorem, r^2 - z^2 = x^2

since dm = p dV
and V = 4/3 (//pi)r^3
dV = 4(//pi)r^2 dr

so I = integrate=> r^2 - z^2 pdV

but the problem is z is a variable.

so how do i convert z?

assuming i put z = rcos θ,

then i will have a θ variable now.

i tried integrating θ from 0 to (pi) but the answer is wrong, its not 2/5mr^2

so what should i do?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at your volume element.

DocZaius said:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/isph.html

This is a great resource for figuring your way through the integration.

i have seened that, but they considered slices of circular disk

and so they sum up the moment of inertia of each disk for the whole sphere

but i am sure the method that i am doing can work also.. just that i don't know how

Vanadium 50 said:
Look at your volume element.

whats wrong with the volume element?

If you are not summing slices, what are you summing in your integration? I suppose maybe you could take ever-widening, and ever-shortening cylinders centered about an axis. The first piece would be a line, and the last would be a circle. Is that what you are doing?

Last edited:

Related to Moment of inertia of solid sphere

What is the definition of moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia of a solid sphere is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is the sum of the products of mass and squared distance from the axis of rotation for all particles in the object.

How is the moment of inertia of a solid sphere calculated?

The moment of inertia of a solid sphere is calculated using the formula I = (2/5) * mr², where m is the mass of the sphere and r is the radius.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a solid sphere?

The moment of inertia of a solid sphere is affected by its mass and distribution of mass, as well as the distance from the axis of rotation.

What is the relationship between moment of inertia and rotational motion?

The moment of inertia is directly related to the rotational motion of a solid sphere. A larger moment of inertia will result in a slower rotational motion, while a smaller moment of inertia will result in a faster rotational motion.

How does the moment of inertia of a solid sphere compare to other objects?

The moment of inertia of a solid sphere is higher than that of a hollow sphere with the same mass and radius, but lower than that of a rod or cylinder with the same mass and length.