Moment of inertia of hemispherical shell

In summary: Am I doing something wrong?In summary, the moment of inertia about the z-axis of a hemispherical shell with a distribution of mass given by σ(x,y,z)=(σ0/R2)(x2+y2) is (16pi/15) σ0R4. This can be found by integrating ∫∫r2σdA in spherical coordinates over the whole hemisphere, which results in σ0R4∫∫sin5dθ d(phi). The first integral yields the needed factor of 8/15, and the second integral is 2pi.
mishima

Homework Statement

The distribution of mass on the hemispherical shell:

z=(R2-x2-y2)1/2

is given by

σ(x,y,z)=(σ0/R2)(x2+y2)

where σ0 is a constant. Find the moment of inertia about the z-axis of the hemispherical shell.

Homework Equations

I=∫r2dm

The Attempt at a Solution

r2 is just R2. ∫dm in spherical coordinates is:

σ0R2∫∫sin3θ dθ d(phi)

with boundaries 0 to pi/2 for θ, and 0 to 2pi for phi. The completed definite integral representing the total mass is then:

(4pi/3) σ0R2.

I feel pretty confident about that, since it is given in the back of the book as the first step in the problem. What I don't understand is why the moment of inertia is anything more than just this value times another R2 to give:

(4pi/3) σ0R4.

The answer is supposed to be:

(16pi/15) σ0R4.

So, I'm guessing there's something more to the calculation of moment of inertia. I've been looking through the different derivations of moments but can't see how to get the right factor. I could use a hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, I understand why I can't do it that way. r in the moment of inertia formula is measured from the center of mass and is not equal to R in this case.

What are the units of sigma0?

None given, but the sigma function is a mass per area so I guess it represents an average mass density, or "baseline" mass density that then varies according to the more general function.

Yay, got it.

∫∫r2σdA

r in the formula for moment of inertia can be put into spherical coordinates and integrated over the whole hemisphere (also in spherical).

σ0R4∫∫sin5dθ d(phi)

The first integral makes the 8/15 factor needed and the second of course is 2 pi. I guess this was a fairly simple problem after all.

mishima said:
Oh, I understand why I can't do it that way. r in the moment of inertia formula is measured from the center of mass and is not equal to R in this case.

I follow this, but do you mean to say rotational axis, not center of mass? The center of mass would be a point. If r is distance from the rotational axis then we can let r=p*sin[itex]\phi[/itex], or in this case r=R*sin[itex]\phi[/itex].

mishima said:
Yay, got it.

∫∫r2σdA

r in the formula for moment of inertia can be put into spherical coordinates and integrated over the whole hemisphere (also in spherical).

σ0R4∫∫sin5dθ d(phi)

The first integral makes the 8/15 factor needed and the second of course is 2 pi. I guess this was a fairly simple problem after all.

I follow this and it makes sense, but when I integrated sin^5[itex]\phi[/itex], I got

-5 Cos[x] 5 Cos[3 x] Cos[5 x]
--------- + ----------- - ----------

which, when integrated from [o,∏/2], equals zero.

Related to Moment of inertia of hemispherical shell

What is the moment of inertia of a hemispherical shell?

The moment of inertia of a hemispherical shell is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is defined as the sum of the products of each particle's mass and its square of the distance from the axis of rotation.

How is the moment of inertia of a hemispherical shell calculated?

The moment of inertia of a hemispherical shell can be calculated using the formula I = 2/3 * MR^2, where M is the mass of the shell and R is the radius of the shell.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a hemispherical shell?

The moment of inertia of a hemispherical shell is affected by its mass, radius, and the distribution of mass within the shell. The greater the mass and radius, the larger the moment of inertia will be. A more concentrated mass distribution will also result in a larger moment of inertia.

Why is the moment of inertia of a hemispherical shell important?

The moment of inertia of a hemispherical shell is important because it plays a significant role in the rotational motion of the shell. It affects how the shell responds to external forces and how it will rotate about its axis.

How does the moment of inertia of a hemispherical shell compare to that of a solid sphere?

The moment of inertia of a hemispherical shell is less than that of a solid sphere with the same mass and radius. This is because the mass in a hemispherical shell is distributed over a larger distance from the axis of rotation, resulting in a smaller moment of inertia.