Moment of Inertia of helicopter blades.

In summary, a helicopter's moment of inertia is determined by the dimensions of its blades and its mass.
eptheta
I have built a model of rotating blades of a helicopter and want to mathematically calculate it's moment of inertia. I am unsure on how to do that.
Its a simple model:
a square wooden base with uniform thickness and 4 equally long blades made of styrofoam from the midpoints of the 4 sides of the square.
The rotational axis is through the centre of the square

Lets just say i know the density, mass and thickness of the base and the blades, how do i get moment of inertia for a specific length of blades ?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What if i have something like this:
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/418/moin.png
I have those extra triangles at the center to deal with. can i just get the MOI of the triangles and add it to the MOI of the rectangular blades ?
yeah, i know I'm approximating a LOT, but it'll have to do.
Can anyone help ? Can anyone show me the derivation of it as well ?

Last edited by a moderator:
eptheta said:
I have built a model of rotating blades of a helicopter and want to mathematically calculate it's moment of inertia. I am unsure on how to do that.
Its a simple model:
a square wooden base with uniform thickness and 4 equally long blades made of styrofoam from the midpoints of the 4 sides of the square.
The rotational axis is through the centre of the square

Lets just say i know the density, mass and thickness of the base and the blades, how do i get moment of inertia for a specific length of blades ?

Thank you

The moment of inertia of a rectangular plate might get you even closer depending how you want to set it up. Its usually given in textbooks. I personally don't like to do the integration on some of these figures.

The moment of inertia of a rectangular plate is 1/12m(a^2 + b^2) where a is the width and b the length of the plate. Note that this is the moment of inertia taken from the center of mass of the plate.

I see your picture. So a and b are b and l...

So really one plate would have length 2l +b and width b... and there are two of them.

Last edited:
The moment of inertia of a rectangular plate might get you even closer depending how you want to set it up. Its usually given in textbooks. I personally don't like to do the integration on some of these figures.

The moment of inertia of a rectangular plate is 1/12m(a^2 + b^2) where a is the width and b the length of the plate. Note that this is the moment of inertia taken from the center of mass of the plate.

I see your picture. So a and b are b and l...

So really one plate would have length 2l +b and width b... and there are two of them.
From what you've said, if i take two rectangular plates, then after adding the two MOIs i' have an extra square in between. And i don't think i can just subtract that...

Also, do you know the derivation of 1/12 M(a2+b2) or a link to it ? I can't find it in my textbook.

I'm not sure if this is correct, but i tried my best to do the integration based on the baterials densities. I havn't added limits yet, but can you verify this for me ?:For the triangle in the middle for each blade:
{σ : density of triangle}
m=1/2 r2hσ
r2=2m/hσ
therefore I=∫2m/hσ
=m2/hσ dm=dx*b*h*rho where dx is a small distance on the wing.
{ρ: density of blade}
therefore ∫r2 dm
substituting for dm:
=∫x2*b*h*ρ dx
=1/3 b*h*ρ*x3

The dimensions are right [ML2] but I'm really not too sure...
Thanks

eptheta said:
From what you've said, if i take two rectangular plates, then after adding the two MOIs i' have an extra square in between. And i don't think i can just subtract that...

Also, do you know the derivation of 1/12 M(a2+b2) or a link to it ? I can't find it in my textbook.

I'm not sure if this is correct, but i tried my best to do the integration based on the baterials densities. I havn't added limits yet, but can you verify this for me ?:

For the triangle in the middle for each blade:
{σ : density of triangle}
m=1/2 r2hσ
r2=2m/hσ
therefore I=∫2m/hσ
=m2/hσ

dm=dx*b*h*rho where dx is a small distance on the wing.
{ρ: density of blade}
therefore ∫r2 dm
substituting for dm:
=∫x2*b*h*ρ dx
=1/3 b*h*ρ*x3

The dimensions are right [ML2] but I'm really not too sure...
Thanks

You don't have to worry about the middle square its taken care of if you use the sides I gave you.

And I am going to admit I don't like doing the math on these. So here is an old discussion on this board.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=57119

Really ? So i just multiply it by 2 ? i.e I= 1/6 M(a2+b2)

Related to Moment of Inertia of helicopter blades.

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property that describes how resistant an object is to rotational motion. It is a measure of an object's mass distribution around an axis of rotation.

How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This distance is known as the moment arm or radius of gyration.

Why is moment of inertia important for helicopter blades?

Moment of inertia is important for helicopter blades because it affects the blades' ability to rotate and maintain stability during flight. A higher moment of inertia means the blades will be more resistant to changes in rotation, making it easier to control the helicopter.

How does the shape of helicopter blades impact moment of inertia?

The shape of helicopter blades can significantly impact moment of inertia. Blades with a larger surface area and a wider span will have a higher moment of inertia compared to thinner, shorter blades. This is because more mass is distributed farther away from the axis of rotation, increasing the moment arm.

How can moment of inertia be adjusted for helicopter blades?

Moment of inertia can be adjusted for helicopter blades by changing their shape, mass distribution, or materials. By reducing the mass of the blades or moving it closer to the axis of rotation, the moment of inertia can be decreased, making the blades easier to control and maneuver.