Moment of inertia of a neutron star

In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between rotational kinetic energy and the moment of inertia, mass, and angular speed. The formula for rotational kinetic energy was given and an attempt at a solution was provided, with a suggestion to simplify the formula by removing the mass. The conversation then delved into finding the power and rate of change of the period, as well as the relationship between the period and angular speed. Hints were given to help further solve the problem.
kent davidge

Homework Statement

kJFqrs7.jpg

Homework Equations

rotational kinetic energy = 0.5 I ⋅ M ⋅ ω², where I is the moment of intertia, M the mass and ω the angular speed

The Attempt at a Solution

T = period of revolution
K = kinetic energy associated with rotational moviment
Since T increases with time according the text,

T = ƒ(t) = 3.31(10^-2) + 1.40(10^-14)t
and I = 2K / ω²M = 2 ⋅ 5(10^31)t / [2π / [3.31(10^-2) + 1.40(10^-14)t]² ⋅ 1.4(1.99)(10^30)]

I'm not sure about this answer. Could someone review it for me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
rotational kinetic energy = 0.5 I ⋅ M ⋅ ω², where I is the moment of intertia, M the mass and ω the angular speed
Quick comment: Get the mass out of that formula (the mass is already accounted for in the moment of inertia): rot KE = 0.5 I ⋅ ω²

Hint: The power will be equal to the rate of change of the rotational energy with respect to time. So think about differentiation of the rotational energy equation, taking into account that ω is a function of time.

Doc Al Ok.
gneill Would it becomes dk/dt = - 5 × (10^31) = - 4.22(10^-13)4π²⋅I / (4.22(10^-13)t + 0.0331)³ and for t = 0, I ≅ 1.09 × 10^25 ?

Let's use symbols and avoid plugging in any numbers until the end.

The power: ##p = 5 ⋅ 10^{31}~W ##
The current period: ##\tau = 0.0331~s ##
The rate of change of the period: ##\frac{Δ\tau}{Δt} = -4.22⋅10^{-13} ##

Write the simple relationship for the angular speed ω given the period ##\tau##. Assume that ω and ##\tau## are functions of time, ##ω(t)## and ##\tau(t)##, and differentiate (hint: chain rule). You'll end up with ##\frac{d ω}{dt}## in terms of ##\tau## and ##\frac{d \tau}{dt}##. Note that a useful approximation is ##\frac{d \tau}{dt} ≈ \frac{Δ\tau}{Δt}##

I suspect that that should be sufficient hints...

Ok. I will do that.

Related to Moment of inertia of a neutron star

1. What is the moment of inertia of a neutron star?

The moment of inertia of a neutron star is a measure of its resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is similar to the moment of inertia of a solid object, but due to the extreme density and compactness of a neutron star, its moment of inertia is much smaller.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a neutron star calculated?

The moment of inertia of a neutron star is calculated using the formula I = kMR^2, where I is the moment of inertia, k is a constant determined by the star's internal structure, M is the mass of the star, and R is its radius. This formula takes into account the star's mass distribution and rotation rate.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a neutron star?

The main factors that affect the moment of inertia of a neutron star are its mass, radius, and rotation rate. A higher mass or smaller radius will result in a smaller moment of inertia, while a faster rotation rate will result in a larger moment of inertia.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a neutron star compare to other celestial bodies?

The moment of inertia of a neutron star is much smaller than that of other celestial bodies, such as planets or normal stars. This is due to the extreme density and compactness of a neutron star, which results in a smaller mass distribution and thus a smaller moment of inertia.

5. Why is the moment of inertia of a neutron star important in astrophysics?

The moment of inertia of a neutron star is important in astrophysics because it provides valuable information about the internal structure and composition of these extreme objects. It also plays a role in determining the rotational stability and evolution of neutron stars, as well as their interactions with other objects in the universe.