Moment of Inertia for Earth by superposition

The first one will be 2/5*M1*R^2 (where R is the radius of the core). The second one will be 2/5*pm*(4/3)*pi*R^3*R^2, which simplifies to (8/15)*pm*pi*R^5. The last one will be -2/5*pm*(4/3)*pi(R^3/2)^2*R^2, which simplifies to -(1/5)*pm*pi*R^5.Combining these three moments of inertia, you will get the final equation: I=2/5*M1*R^2 + (8/15)*pm*pi*R^5 - (1/5)*pm*pi
rnew
This was a 2 part problem...
PART A: calculate moment of inertia of a uniform sphere of mass M and radius R by using the information provided:
the moment of inertia of a thin spherical shell at radius R with mass m spinning about its axis is 2/3mR2.

I did this by integrating over thin shells with density, p, from radius -R to R.
Knowing that dI=1/2y2dm=1/2y2pdV. So I integrated 1/2y2ppiy2dz and substituting density for p=M/(4/3)piR3

the answer I got was 2/5piR2

PART B: (this was where I started having difficulty understanding..) you can calculate the moment of inertia of a layered Earth model by superposing the results for a uniform sphere. The moment of inertia of a 2 layer Earth model with a core of mass M1 and an outer shell mass M2 separated at radius R12 and a total radius of R is given by:

EQUATION #1--->
I=2/5M1R212+2/5(pm4/3piR3)R2-2/5(pm4/3piR312)R23

where pm=density of mantle.

(below is copy-pasted equation from homework sheet...not sure which one is easier to read)
I =
M1R2
12 +
(m
R3)R2 −
(m
R3
12)R2

It tells me to derive equation #1(above) by superposition

I have no idea where to get started on this part...

Physics news on Phys.org
I=2/5M1R212+2/5(pm4/3piR3)R2-2/5(pm4/3piR312)R23

this equation above has a few errors:

the first R is supposed to be R-squared subscript 12
the second to last R is supposed to be R-cubed subscript 12
the last R is supposed to be R-squared subscript 12

Please learn to use the tex feature on this site. Also, by superposition, they mean the total moment of inertia will just be a sum of moment of inertias for the different bodies that make up the system.

So you will have the moment of inertia for the core. For the mantle, you can imagine it as a sphere with the same density as the mantle and same radius, with a smaller sphere with the radius of the core and negative mass. The negative mass will cancel out the mass of the larger sphere, so it will look like a shell.

That leaves you with 3 spheres. So you will have 3 different moments of inertia to sum together.

Related to Moment of Inertia for Earth by superposition

1. What is the moment of inertia for Earth?

The moment of inertia for Earth is a measure of its rotational inertia, or resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by summing the products of each small mass element in Earth with the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia for Earth calculated?

The moment of inertia for Earth can be calculated using the formula I = ∫r²dm, where I is the moment of inertia, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and dm is the mass element. This integral is typically solved using calculus.

3. Why is superposition used to calculate the moment of inertia for Earth?

Superposition is used to calculate the moment of inertia for Earth because it allows us to break down the Earth into smaller mass elements and calculate the moment of inertia for each individual element. These individual moments of inertia can then be added together to find the total moment of inertia for Earth.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the moment of inertia for Earth?

The distribution of mass in Earth affects its moment of inertia, as mass that is further from the axis of rotation contributes more to the moment of inertia than mass that is closer. This means that the Earth's moment of inertia is affected by factors such as its shape and density distribution.

5. How is the moment of inertia for Earth related to its rotational motion?

The moment of inertia for Earth is directly related to its rotational motion, as it determines how difficult it is to change the Earth's rotational speed or direction. A larger moment of inertia means that more energy is required to change the Earth's rotational motion, resulting in a more stable rotation.