Moment of Inertia for Combination of Rod and Ball

In summary, the moment of inertia for a combination of a rod and a ball can be calculated by adding the individual moments of inertia for each shape. The moment of inertia for a rod is equal to 1/12 times its mass multiplied by its length squared, while the moment of inertia for a ball is equal to 2/5 times its mass multiplied by the square of its radius. By applying the parallel axis theorem, the combined moment of inertia can be found by adding the moment of inertia of the rod and the moment of inertia of the ball, which is displaced from the axis of rotation by the distance between their centers. This calculation is useful in understanding the rotational motion and stability of objects with multiple shapes.
TMO

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://www.smartphysics.com/images/content/mechanics/ch15/momentofinertia2new.png

What is the moment of inertia of the object about an axis at the center of mass of the object? (Note: the center of mass can be calculated to be located at a point halfway between the center of the sphere and the left edge of the sphere.)

mrod (hence denoted as mr) = 7.11 kg
msphere (hence denoted as ms) = 35.55 kg
rrod (this is the length of the rod, and it will hence be denoted as rr) = 5.8 m
rsphere (this is the radius of the sphere, hence denoted as rs) = 1.45 m

Homework Equations

[tex]I = I_{center of mass} + md^2[/tex] (parallel axis theorem)
[tex]I_{sphere} = \frac{2}{5}mr^2[/tex]
[tex]I_{rod at end} = \frac{1}{3}ml^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that the moment of inertia must include both the moment of a rod spinning at its edge and the moment resulting from the parallel axis theorem. This leads to the first part.

[tex] \frac{1}{3}m_r(r_r)^2 + m_r(r_s/2)^2 [/tex]

Doing something similar to the sphere gives a similar equation

[tex] \frac{2}{5}m_s(r_s)^2 + m_s(r_s/2)^2 [/tex]

Then I just combine these together, if the hyperphysics page is anything to go by (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html). This yields the following.

[tex] \frac{1}{3}m_r(r_r)^2 + m_r(r_s/2)^2 + \frac{2}{5}m_s(r_s)^2 + m_s(r_s/2)^2[/tex]

However, this isn't correct. Why is this, and how can I fix this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
TMO said:

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://www.smartphysics.com/images/content/mechanics/ch15/momentofinertia2new.png

What is the moment of inertia of the object about an axis at the center of mass of the object? (Note: the center of mass can be calculated to be located at a point halfway between the center of the sphere and the left edge of the sphere.)

mrod (hence denoted as mr) = 7.11 kg
msphere (hence denoted as ms) = 35.55 kg
rrod (this is the length of the rod, and it will hence be denoted as rr) = 5.8 m
rsphere (this is the radius of the sphere, hence denoted as rs) = 1.45 m

Homework Equations

[tex]I = I_{center of mass} + md^2[/tex] (parallel axis theorem)
[tex]I_{sphere} = \frac{2}{5}mr^2[/tex]
[tex]I_{rod at end} = \frac{1}{3}ml^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that the moment of inertia must include both the moment of a rod spinning at its edge and the moment resulting from the parallel axis theorem. This leads to the first part.

Doing something similar to the sphere gives a similar equation

[tex] \frac{2}{5}m_s(r_s)^2 + m_s(r_s/2)^2 [/tex]

Then I just combine these together, if the hyperphysics page is anything to go by (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html). This yields the following.

[tex] \frac{1}{3}m_r(r_r)^2 + m_r(r_s/2)^2 + \frac{2}{5}m_s(r_s)^2 + m_s(r_s/2)^2[/tex]

However, this isn't correct. Why is this, and how can I fix this?
If the axis of rotation is arrow line
moment of inertia of the rod will Zerp. Do you; Because elementry formula for moment of inertia is I=mr2. R=0 for all the particles of the rod so moment of inertia of the rod is0.
Now come to sphere; moment of inertia of sphere is 2/5mr2. that's the answer.

if axis of rotation is doted line(COM)
apply theorem of perpendicular axis.
moment of inertia about an axis passing through COM(dotted line in fig) and perpendicular to your screen will same since mass configuration is same around both the axises. Let me say it be I
then I+I=2/5mr2
This is short cut.
It must correct. IF this is wrong please tell me.

Last edited by a moderator:
TMO said:

To use the parallel axis theorem, you must start with the rod's moment of inertia about its center of mass, not its end.

Related to Moment of Inertia for Combination of Rod and Ball

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is determined by the mass distribution of an object and the axis around which it rotates.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia for a combination of a rod and ball can be calculated by adding the individual moments of inertia for each object. The moment of inertia for a rod is 1/12 * mass * length^2 and for a solid sphere is 2/5 * mass * radius^2.

3. How does the shape and mass distribution affect the moment of inertia?

The shape and mass distribution of an object determine the moment of inertia. Objects with more mass distributed farther from the axis of rotation will have a larger moment of inertia, making them more resistant to changes in rotational motion.

4. What is the significance of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is important in understanding the rotational motion of objects, such as how they will respond to external torques or how they will rotate on an axis. It is also used in engineering and design to ensure stability and efficiency in rotating systems.

5. How can the moment of inertia be changed?

The moment of inertia can be changed by altering the shape and mass distribution of an object. For example, decreasing the radius of a sphere or changing the position of mass in an object can decrease the moment of inertia, making it easier to rotate. Additionally, the moment of inertia can also be changed by changing the axis of rotation.