Moment of Inertia for 3 masses, on an axis

In summary, the problem involves finding the moment of inertia of an "L-shaped" figure rotating around an axis that passes through 9 kg and 2.5 kg masses, without considering the masses of the connecting bars. The formula for moment of inertia is I = MR^2, where R is the distance from each mass component to the axis of rotation. The 1.2 kg mass is not on the axis of rotation, so its distance must be calculated using geometry. Once the correct distance is found, the moment of inertia can be calculated.
matxjos

Homework Statement

[refer to picture, thanks]
The "L-shaped" figure rotates on the axis which which intercepts through 9 kilogram and 2.5 kilogram masses. Find the moment of inertia of the object for this type of rotation. Disregard the masses of connecting bars.

Homework Equations

MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure on what to do. I am assuming we treat the objects like point masses but I'm not really sure on that either. Do you take the 1.2 kg object and only use this with its radius to each object? I tried but the answer wasnt in the answer options.

The 2 objects on the axis are confusing me. Where is the center of mass the object is rotating on.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 467
Physics news on Phys.org
moment of inertia is

[itex]I = \sum MR^{2}[/itex]

where the R is the distance from each mass component to the axis of rotation

if we assume that each mass is a point mass, then they aren't going to be doing any rotating if they are on the axis of rotation

so the problem here is to find the distance from the 1.2 kg mass to the axis of rotation

Hi, thanks for the response.

That is what I initially thought, but what I got isn't an answer choice.

I calculated that the 1.2kg mass is 1.788854383m from the axis of rotation.

so 1.2*1.78^2 = 3.84 kg*m^2

This isn't an answer choice
the options are: 50, 19, 11, 0.96, 0.72, 29, 60, 20, 0.60
in kg*m^2

The distance that you calculated for the 1.2 kg mass from the axis of rotation is wrong.

Okay. I assume you have to use geometry to figure that out.

Tried to use cosine.

Can you tell me how to figure out that distance?

Nvm, I figured it out. Was using cosine instead of sine.

Thanks for the help, questions done.

:smile:

Related to Moment of Inertia for 3 masses, on an axis

What is moment of inertia for 3 masses on an axis?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. In the case of 3 masses on an axis, it is the sum of the products of each mass and its distance from the axis of rotation squared.

How is moment of inertia calculated for 3 masses on an axis?

The moment of inertia for 3 masses on an axis can be calculated using the formula I = m1r1^2 + m2r2^2 + m3r3^2, where m1, m2, and m3 are the masses and r1, r2, and r3 are their respective distances from the axis of rotation.

What units is moment of inertia measured in?

Moment of inertia is typically measured in units of kilogram-meter squared (kg·m^2) in the SI system. However, it can also be measured in other units such as gram-centimeter squared (g·cm^2) or pound-square feet (lb·ft^2).

Why is moment of inertia important in rotational motion?

Moment of inertia is important in rotational motion because it determines how much torque is needed to accelerate an object in rotational motion. Objects with larger moments of inertia require more torque to achieve the same angular acceleration as objects with smaller moments of inertia.

How does the distribution of masses affect the moment of inertia for 3 masses on an axis?

The distribution of masses affects the moment of inertia for 3 masses on an axis because the farther the mass is from the axis of rotation, the larger its contribution to the moment of inertia will be. Therefore, a more spread out distribution of masses will result in a larger moment of inertia compared to a more compact distribution of masses with the same total mass.