Moment of inertia. Ball rolling experiment.

In summary, the experiment involves finding the moment of inertia of a rolling ball using conservation of energy. The ball is rolled down a ramp and the time it takes to roll a fixed distance is measured. Using the distance and time, the velocity of the ball can be calculated. Then, using the equation PE = KE + (1/2)Iω^2 and the calculated velocity, the moment of inertia can be found. However, the results may vary depending on the type of ball used, as the size, texture, and shape of the ball can affect its moment of inertia.
Dragonetti

Homework Statement

Hi,
I have been asked to find the moment of inertia of a rolling ball. The ball can be any size and radius. I have chosen a solid ball.

The experiment says that I should roll the ball down a ramp and then measure the time it takes for the ball to roll from the end of the ramp to some fixed distance. I have done this and have the measurements from the experiment but now I do not know how to calculate the moment of inertia?

Homework Equations

I know that for a stationary solid ball the moment of inertia is (2/5)Mr^2. the experiment talks about using potential, rotational kinetic and translational energy?

The Attempt at a Solution

I really am confused about what the moment of inertia actually is!

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thank You
Dominic

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use conservation of energy here ...
What sort of energy does the ball start with, at the top of the ramp?
Where does that energy go?

Write an equation that describes that.

This should help:
Moment of inertial plays the same role for rotation that mass plays for translation. Just like mass, it is the same for moving bodies as for stationary ones. You have to do work to start an object spinning - work is change in energy - so the spinning object stores energy.

Dragonetti said:

Homework Statement

Hi,
I have been asked to find the moment of inertia of a rolling ball. The ball can be any size and radius. I have chosen a solid ball.

The experiment says that I should roll the ball down a ramp and then measure the time it takes for the ball to roll from the end of the ramp to some fixed distance. I have done this and have the measurements from the experiment but now I do not know how to calculate the moment of inertia?
From the distance covered and the time you can determine the velocity of the ball. Knowing the velocity, you can apply conservation of energy, as Simon suggested. The ball has both translational kinetic energy and rotational energy. How the rotational energy is related to the moment of inertia?

ehild

with the distance and time you can calculate the angular velocity assuming no slipping, right?

and you can calculate the linear velocity too

and with these you can calculate the total kinetic energy of the ball using the equation:

KE= 1/2*m*v^2 + 1/2*I*w^2 for the ball.

The ball is now in your court...

Thank you for the replies.
OK I now have the equation

Pe = Ke + (1/2)Iω^2

Which I have rearranged for "I"

(M(2gh - v^2))/ω^2 = I

I found the velocity and ω as suggested.
I have then use this to find I. Is this correct?

I have tried it with different balls (tennis ball, ball baring and a marble), and have got some wildly varying results! For example the tennis ball I = 3939.9 and the Marble I = 6.89?

for the velocity did you use the instaneous velocity or the average velocity?

For the velocity I used D/t.

For t I used the time the ball was between two points. So I think this must be the average velocity?

Dragonetti said:
For the velocity I used D/t.

For t I used the time the ball was between two points. So I think this must be the average velocity?

V=D/t is the average velocity, but the object moves with acceleration along the slope. You know the distance traveled and the time, and the ball started from rest: from these, you can calculate the final speed.

ehild

Dragonetti said:
I have tried it with different balls (tennis ball, ball baring and a marble), and have got some wildly varying results! For example the tennis ball I = 3939.9 and the Marble I = 6.89?
Compare your experimental values with those you calculate. Bear in mind that the marble is a small smooth solid while the tennis ball is large, hairy, and hollow.

If the balls do not slow much over the distance you timed them, you should be fine with the mean speed. Your equation does call for instantaneous speed at the bottom of the ramp... so, if the test ball does slow a lot you will need to account for that.

Related to Moment of inertia. Ball rolling experiment.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is analogous to mass in linear motion.

2. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia depends not only on the mass of an object, but also on its distribution of mass relative to its axis of rotation. Two objects with the same mass can have different moments of inertia if their mass is distributed differently.

3. What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia?

The formula for moment of inertia is I = mr^2, where I is moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the mass.

4. What is the purpose of the ball rolling experiment to determine moment of inertia?

The ball rolling experiment is used to determine the moment of inertia of a solid sphere by measuring its acceleration while rolling down an incline. This experiment allows for the calculation of the moment of inertia without having to directly measure the mass distribution of the object.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the moment of inertia measurement in a ball rolling experiment?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of the moment of inertia measurement in a ball rolling experiment include air resistance, friction, and the precision of the incline and timing equipment. These factors should be minimized as much as possible in order to obtain a more accurate measurement.