Moment of inertia and rotational speed of a ball

In summary, the ball has kinetic energy (KE), which is proportional to its mass and its rotational speed. The kinetic energy of a rotating object is KE=(Iw^2)/2, where I is the moment of inertia about the centroid of the object and w is the angular velocity. If you have a force being applied to the outside of the ball, you can get the torque by using T=r x F. You can then use T=I*a, where the I is the same I as before and a is the angular acceleration. The frictional force is given as F=mu*N, where mu is the coefficient of friction and N is the force of the wall pushing back on the object.
deluksic
Hey I'm making some kind of simulation... (in game maker) Ball collisions, ball to wall(friction)etc.

So I'm asking: how do i calculate rotational speed if i know r, mass, and distance to where is force being applyed?

I know that moment of inertia for a ball is 2/3*m*r2 and have no idea how to use it...

friction is also a problem.. i don't know how to calculate friction with wall if i know friction koeficient...

(sry for any mistake, I am not from england)

Physics news on Phys.org
The kinetic energy of a rotating object is KE=(Iw^2)/2, where I is the moment of inertia about the centroid of the object and w is the angular velocity. If you have a force being applied to the outside of the ball, you can get the torque by using T=r x F. You can then use T=I*a, where the I is the same I as before and a is the angular acceleration.

The frictional force is given as F=mu*N, where mu is the coefficient of friction and N is the force of the wall pushing back on the object.

Hope this gets you started.

hmm ill try to understand all that, put it in code than tell you...

few questions...

is that aceleration in radians or degrees?
x is cross product?

that frictional force is maximal friction and i need actuall friction when ball hit the wall with speed on an angle...

I believe the acceleration is in radians. And yes, the x is cross product.

AFAIK, you'll have to do an impulse force calculation or something to solve for the normal force of the wall because the force the ball is hitting with wall with is changing with time. The normal force is the force perpendicular to the wall, so if the ball is hitting the wall with a force at an angle, you can just get the component in the direction perpendicular to the wall using a F cos theta or F sin theta (however you're measuring your theta). That will be the normal force and you can sub that into the F=mu*N.

yes i know that... but that IMPULSE is confusing me... impulse is actually F=(m/\v)/t right?
t in my program is actually one step of simulation so force that will be applying is just mv?

also i managed to make it out with rotations now how do i calc that actuall speed of center of mass when force is being applyed? it can't be the same if u pull an object on a corner or in center of mass...

Rotating rigid bodies are world for it self. But here are some helpful tips.

I believe that u are familiar with dynamics, Newton etc. In translation-like motions you have mass (m) and speed (v).

Now think of it this way. Physics has to work in the same laws, little bit different and adjusted but same in their intention.

What is mass for translation, that is moment of inertia for rotating bodies. What is speed for translation(v) that is angular speed for rotating bodies (w). What is force for translation, that is torque for rotating bodies.

same for momentum, acceleration etc. These analogies could help you start.

if you want to study this, and really learn it here are some helpful links.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-1999/video-lectures/lecture-19/"
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-1999/video-lectures/lecture-20/"
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-1999/video-lectures/lecture-21/"

After these 3 50 minutes lectures, i think you will have all you need for you project, there is more if you are interested

Last edited by a moderator:
now i see that it is totaly the same if i pull something for a corner or in center of mass thanks! That MIT teacher is very good! (and funny xD..)

deluksic said:
now i see that it is totaly the same if i pull something for a corner or in center of mass thanks! That MIT teacher is very good! (and funny xD..)

Pulling an object to make it move only depends of the angle of that force and the direction of the movement.

deluksic said:
yes if ur interested u can download my first test of it to see what it looks like :D
here is my download:

https://sites.google.com/site/deluksicgames/contact-us

This is awesome ! If you need anything else, i am very familiar with classical physics and i know a little bit of programming, if you need any help further PM me.

ok! I am glad u like it! :D

Related to Moment of inertia and rotational speed of a ball

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is also known as rotational inertia.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of a ball can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where m is the mass of the ball and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the mass.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a ball?

The moment of inertia of a ball is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. The larger the mass and the farther the mass is from the axis of rotation, the greater the moment of inertia.

4. How does rotational speed affect the moment of inertia of a ball?

As the rotational speed of a ball increases, its moment of inertia also increases due to the increased centrifugal force acting on the mass.

5. What is the relationship between moment of inertia and rotational speed?

The moment of inertia and rotational speed of a ball are inversely proportional. This means that as the moment of inertia increases, the rotational speed decreases, and vice versa.