Moment of inertia and force needed to tilt/change axis of rotation

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of applying a force to a freely rotating body with a z-axis of rotation and all mass concentrated in the x-y plane. The formula for calculating the tilt angle or angular speed in this scenario is determined to be \tau = I\cdot\dot{\vec{\omega}} where \tau is the torque, I is the moment of inertia tensor, and \dot{\vec{\omega}} is the three-vector of angular acceleration. It is also noted that applying a torque not parallel to \dot{\vec{\omega}} will result in an additional angular velocity component.
birulami
Consider a freely rotating body. Let the axis of rotation be the z-axis. For simplicity assume all the mass of the body is concentrated in the x-y-plane, i.e. the plane in which the body rotates.

I have read about the moment of inertia tensor on wikipedia, but I don't see how I would combine it with a torque to tilt the axis of rotation.

Suppose the above rotating body indeed has a solid axis, albeit of zero mass, sticking out at one end with length [itex]\gt l[/itex]. At [itex]z=l[/itex] we apply a force perpendicular to the axis for a distance of [itex]\Delta s[/itex] in the direction of [itex]-x[/itex].

Code:
  |<- apply force 
  |
  |
=====  <- x-y plane of rotation

What will happen to the to the overall rotation.

a) Will the axis tilt only a certain amount or does the force applied induce a rotation that keeps going and combines with the previous rotation.

b) What is the formula to get the tilt angle or the angular speed? I assume it somehow combines the inertia tensor and the force F or torque [itex]l\times F[/itex]?

Thanks,
Harald.

Physics news on Phys.org
Found it myself. In general it is

[tex]\tau = I\cdot\dot{\vec{\omega}}[/tex]

where [itex]\tau[/itex] is the torque, the equivalent of force for linear motion, [itex]I[/itex] is the moment of inertia tensor (i.e. 3x3 matrix) and [itex]\dot{\vec{\omega}}[/itex] is the three-vector of angular acceleration. The rest seems to be to put in the special case values. And I reckon that applying a torque that that is not just parallel to [itex]\dot{\vec{\omega}}[/itex] will result in an angular velocity component, not just in a tilt of the rotational axis.

Related to Moment of inertia and force needed to tilt/change axis of rotation

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on both the mass and distribution of mass of the object.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of a point mass can be calculated by multiplying the mass by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. For more complex objects, the moment of inertia can be found by using integration or by using the parallel axis theorem.

3. What is the relationship between moment of inertia and axis of rotation?

The moment of inertia of an object depends on the axis of rotation. The farther the mass is from the axis, the greater the moment of inertia will be. This means that objects with a larger moment of inertia will require more force to change their axis of rotation.

4. How is force related to changing the axis of rotation?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the force needed to change the axis of rotation of an object is directly proportional to the mass and the acceleration of the object. This means that a larger moment of inertia will result in a larger force needed to change the axis of rotation.

5. How does moment of inertia affect the stability of an object?

The moment of inertia also plays a role in determining the stability of an object. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will be more stable and resist changes in their rotation, while objects with a smaller moment of inertia will be less stable and easier to tilt or change their axis of rotation.