Moment of Inertia and axis of rotation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the moment of inertia of a hollow square tube about an axis perpendicular to its length. The individual asking for help has attempted to calculate it multiple times but is unsure if their answers are correct. They are seeking help and/or explanation from others and are advised to model the square tube as four rectangular sheets and use the parallel axis theorem. Additionally, a link is provided for a chart with relevant formulas.
markjc
What I'm about to ask isn't a homework question, but it is a personal question relating to a home-project I'm working on.

My question is, what is the moment of inertia of a hollow square tube about an axis perpendicular to its length?

Here's a poor diagram: -----|----- (where | is the axis of rotation)

I've attempted to calcuate it a few times and I'm not sure any of my answers make sense. Then again, I'm pretty rusty on these things and there's probably some key concept I'm missing.

Can anyone offer any help and/or explanation?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that you need to calculate it accurately (and thus you can't just treat it as a thin rod), model it as a set of four rectangular sheets. You'll probably need to use the parallel axis theorem. And you can look up the rotational inertia of a rectangular sheet, if you need to.

Take a look here and see if the size you need is in the tables. I have my chart at work that has all of my formulas on it. So this will hopefully suffice for tonight.

http://www.steeltubeinstitute.org/pdf/brochures/dimension_brochure.pdf

EDIT: Ahh crud. I just realized that this doesn't include the data you're looking for. Whoops.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Moment of Inertia and axis of rotation

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is dependent on an object's mass and distribution of mass around an axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of each particle in an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation, and then summing all of these values together.

3. What is the relationship between moment of inertia and axis of rotation?

The moment of inertia is dependent on the axis of rotation, as the distribution of mass around the axis affects the object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. A larger moment of inertia means the object will require more torque to rotate.

4. How does moment of inertia differ from mass?

Moment of inertia and mass are two different measures of an object's resistance to changes in motion. Mass is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion, while moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion.

5. What are some real-life applications of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is an important concept in many fields, including physics, engineering, and sports. It is used in designing structures and machines, analyzing the motion of objects in space, and even understanding the performance of vehicles and sports equipment.