Moment of beam with three masses

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the moments for a bar that is supported by thrust from motors at both sides. The attempt at a solution involves looking at books for guidance, but no success has been found yet. The missing variable is the mass center, which needs to be determined in order to properly calculate the effect of the motors on the bar.
deltacore

Homework Statement

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3397/21695637.png

q=0.4905 [Nm]
q2=20 [Nm]

Homework Equations

How to find the moments?

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked of a few books in last several hours, but without any success. In every similar problem the moments are given. Only thing I know for sure is that I don't have the all variables to calculate it ...

Thanks for understanding

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see an attempt which is a must before we can help. Also, how is the beam supported?

Its supported by thrust by motors at the both sides at the bar...

I am thinking about a solution but something is missing ... its doesn't feel right...
The motors are creating thrust 580g, so i have to find the mass center so i can see how the motors effect the bar?

Am i right ?

Last edited:

Related to Moment of beam with three masses

1. What is the moment of beam with three masses?

The moment of beam with three masses refers to the rotational force or torque exerted on a beam due to the presence of three masses at different distances from the beam's axis of rotation. It is a measure of the beam's resistance to rotational motion.

2. How is the moment of beam with three masses calculated?

The moment of beam with three masses can be calculated by multiplying the mass of each individual mass by its distance from the axis of rotation, and then summing these products together. This can also be represented as the sum of the individual moments of each mass.

3. What factors affect the moment of beam with three masses?

The moment of beam with three masses is affected by the distance of the masses from the axis of rotation, as well as the mass of each individual mass. The distribution of the masses along the beam also plays a role in determining the moment.

4. How is the moment of beam with three masses related to the beam's strength?

The moment of beam with three masses is directly related to the beam's strength. A larger moment indicates a greater resistance to rotational motion, which means the beam is able to support more weight without breaking. Therefore, a stronger beam will have a higher moment of resistance.

5. Can the moment of beam with three masses be negative?

Yes, the moment of beam with three masses can be negative. This occurs when the clockwise moments are greater than the counterclockwise moments, resulting in a net moment in the negative direction. It is important to consider both positive and negative moments when analyzing the stability and strength of a beam.