Moment generating function question

In summary, we have a problem involving independent random variables with the same distribution, a discrete random variable, and a sum of random variables. We are asked to find the moment generating function of this sum, but we do not know the distribution of the individual random variables. We can use the p.d.f. of the discrete random variable and the p.d.f. of the continuous random variable to calculate the moment generating function.
oyth94
Let X1,X2,…,Xn be independent random variables that all have the same distribution, let N be an independent non-negative integer valued random variable, and let SN:=X1+X2+⋯+XN. Find an expression for the moment generating function of SN

so all i know is that it is i.i.d but i am not sure what distribution it is in order to find the moment generating function. how do i solve this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: moment generating function question

oyth94 said:
Let X1,X2,…,Xn be independent random variables that all have the same distribution, let N be an independent non-negative integer valued random variable, and let SN:=X1+X2+⋯+XN. Find an expression for the moment generating function of SN

so all i know is that it is i.i.d but i am not sure what distribution it is in order to find the moment generating function. how do i solve this question?

I'm not sure to have correctly understood... is N, the number of random variables, a random variable itself?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

oyth94 said:

Let suppose that we know the quantity...

$\displaystyle p_{n}= P \{N=n\}\ (1)$

... and each continuous r.v. is $\displaystyle \mathcal {N} (0,\sigma)$, then is...

$\displaystyle m_{S_{N}} (t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} p_{n}\ e^{\frac{n}{2}\ \sigma^{2}\ t^{2}}\ (2)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Let suppose that we know the quantity...

$\displaystyle p_{n}= P \{N=n\}\ (1)$

... and each continuous r.v. is $\displaystyle \mathcal {N} (0,\sigma)$, then is...

$\displaystyle m_{S_{N}} (t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} p_{n}\ e^{\frac{n}{2}\ \sigma^{2}\ t^{2}}\ (2)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I'm not sure how you arrived at this answer..can you please explain?

If I understood correctly, the $X_{i}, i=1,2,...,N$ are continuous r.v. with the same p.d.f. f(x) [which is not specified...] and N is a discrete r.v. with discrete p.d.f. $p_{n} = P \{N=n\}, n=1,2,...\ $. Setting $S = X_{1} + X_{2} + ... + X_{N}$, the r.v. S has p.d.f. ...

$\displaystyle f_{N} (x) = f(x) * f(x) * ... * f(x),\text{N times}\ (1)$

... and the moment generating function is...$\displaystyle m_{S} (t) = E \{e^{S\ t}\} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} p_{n}\ \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} e^{x\ t} f_{n} (x)\ dx\ (2)$Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to Moment generating function question

1. What is a moment generating function (MGF)?

A moment generating function is a mathematical function used in probability theory to characterize the probability distribution of a random variable. It is defined as the expected value of e^(tx), where t is a real number and x is the random variable.

2. How is a moment generating function different from a probability generating function?

A moment generating function is used to calculate moments of a probability distribution, while a probability generating function is used to calculate probabilities of discrete outcomes. Additionally, a moment generating function can be used for both discrete and continuous distributions, while a probability generating function is only applicable to discrete distributions.

3. What is the purpose of using a moment generating function?

The moment generating function allows us to easily calculate moments of a probability distribution, such as the mean, variance, and higher order moments. It is also useful in proving properties of random variables and in deriving the distributions of functions of random variables.

4. How do you find the moment generating function of a specific distribution?

The moment generating function of a specific distribution can be found by taking the expected value of e^(tx), where x follows the given distribution. This can be done analytically or by using tables or software.

5. Can a moment generating function uniquely determine a probability distribution?

Yes, a moment generating function uniquely determines a probability distribution. This is known as the moment uniqueness theorem, which states that if two random variables have the same moment generating function, then they must have the same probability distribution.