Molecular Solid vs Network Covalent Solids

In summary, CO2 is a molecular solid held together by intermolecular forces, while SiO2 is a covalent network solid held together by covalent bonds. The classification of solid state structures cannot be simplified to a few rules and requires a comprehensive understanding of different types of structures and their interactions. It is recommended to consult a reputable college chemistry textbook for a detailed explanation of solid state classifications and properties.
henry3369

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble figuring out if a solid is a molecular solid or network covalent solid.

Classify the following as a network covalent solid or a molecular solid:
1. CO2
2. SiO2

Homework Equations

Molecular solid held together by intermolecular forces
Covalent network solids are held together by covalent bonds.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that CO2 is a molecular solid and SiO2 is a network covalent solid, but I'm not sure how I would figure that out. They both have two oxygen atoms, and carbon and silicon have the same number of valence electrons. What makes them different types of solids then?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a topic that, honestly, can't be reduced to a few rules. It is easy to say CO2 is this, or SiO2 that, but to understand what you need under "The attempt at a solution" it requires a comprehensive understanding of how solid state structures are classified & how different classifications of structures interact. The statements under "Relevant Equations" above, are correct, but is only a part of the 'big picture' that you need understand in order to ID the classification of solids from formulas. I might suggest looking up 'The Solid State' in a reputable college chemistry text and spend quality time reviewing
- classification of types of solids,
- properties of solids that affect melting point, hardness & conductivity,
- crystalline structure and how it is defined, and
- structures of specific types of crystalline solids.
I wish I could say your question has a simple answer or rule, but it does not. It will be a time consuming effort to develop a good understanding, but well worth the effort. Lots of luck. :-)

Likes mooncrater and Greg Bernhardt

Related to Molecular Solid vs Network Covalent Solids

What is the difference between a molecular solid and a network covalent solid?

A molecular solid is composed of discrete molecules held together by intermolecular forces, while a network covalent solid is made up of a continuous network of covalent bonds between atoms.

Which type of solid has a higher melting point, molecular or network covalent?

Network covalent solids typically have higher melting points than molecular solids due to the stronger bonds between atoms in the continuous network.

Are molecular solids typically conductors or insulators?

Molecular solids are typically insulators because the molecules are held together by weak intermolecular forces and do not have free electrons to conduct electricity.

What are some examples of molecular solids and network covalent solids?

Molecular solids include substances such as ice, sugar, and wax. Network covalent solids include diamonds, quartz, and graphite.

Can a substance exhibit properties of both molecular and network covalent solids?

Yes, some substances can have characteristics of both types of solids. For example, carbon can exist in both a molecular form (as in diamond) and a network covalent form (as in graphite).