Molarity of oncentated nitric acid

In summary, the student attempted to solve an equation for molarity, but was lost due to not understanding the units for volume. They were very close to the correct answer by calculating molarity using units of volume.
geffman1

Homework Statement

hey guys, i got a problem. "concentated nitric acid is 70.7% HNO3 (molar mass=63g) and 29.3% H20 by mass. the density of the solution is 1.42gcm. what is the molarity.

Homework Equations

i know i should rearrange the formula d=m/v but i can't work out the mass becuase how do i know how many moles of HNO3 do i have? i tried writing empricial formula but I am a bit lost. any help would be greatlyfull apprecitated.

The Attempt at a Solution

P.s I've got an assesment and i have a few worked questions, if anyone would like to check one or 2 answers please let me know. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by working with those mass-% numbers. You may assume any amount of HNO3 and H2O, as long as they are in the right proportion. So to make life simple, use 70.7g of HNO3 and 29.3g of H2O.

yeh i did that but when i worked it out i get 1.122 moles of HNO3 and 1.623 moles of H20. should i just mulitiple both by 2?

Not sure what good multiplying by 2 does.

At any rate, you now have how many moles of HN03. Given the density 1.42gcm (is that 1.42 g/cm3?), you can figure out the volume of the solution.

so if i times 70.7 grams by 1.122 that should give me the mass of HNO3

oh soz, yeh it is cm^3

Uh, no, the mass of HNO3 is 70.7 grams. 70.7g x 1.122mol would be meaningless here.

The total mass of the solution is 100.0 grams. Use the density to get the volume of the solution.

o true. so it would work out v=m/d =100/1.42=70.422. then molarity would equal moles/volume which would equal 1.122/70.422=0.0159

thansk mate your a ledgend.

You are very very close, hang in there.

Watch those volume units:
What are the units for the v=70.4 you calculated?
What volume units are used to calculate molarity?

Related to Molarity of oncentated nitric acid

1. What is the definition of molarity?

Molarity is a unit of concentration that measures the number of moles of a substance dissolved in a liter of solution.

2. How is molarity calculated?

Molarity is calculated by dividing the number of moles of a solute by the volume of the solution in liters.

3. What is the molarity of concentrated nitric acid?

The molarity of concentrated nitric acid can vary, but it is typically around 15-16 M (molar).

4. How does the molarity of concentrated nitric acid affect its strength?

The higher the molarity of concentrated nitric acid, the stronger its concentration and the more corrosive it can be. A higher molarity also means a higher concentration of hydrogen ions, making it a stronger acid.

5. How is the molarity of concentrated nitric acid used in experiments?

The molarity of concentrated nitric acid is often used in experiments as a strong acid to neutralize bases, as a catalyst in reactions, and as a cleaning agent due to its corrosive properties.