Molarity of a solution of silver perchlorate

In summary: I'm misunderstanding something?Problem #2:What is the molarity of a solution of potassium iodide, KI, if 3.2 moles of potassium iodide is dissolved in 1.5 liters of water? Is it 2.133 M, 4.756 M, 4.8 M, or 4.810 M? In summary, the molarity of a solution of potassium iodide, KI, is 2.133 M.
n108
What is the molarity of a solution of silver perchlorate, AgClO4, if 3.2 moles of silver perchlorate is dissolved in 1.5 liters of water? Is it 2.133 M, 4.756 M, 4.8 M, or 4.810 M ?
i guessed 2.133 M

2. How many moles of potassium iodide, KI, must be used to make 1.500 L of a 0.2 M solution?
.3 m
.2 M
.2 m I know its not this one...
.2 g

3. What is the molarity of the solution produced when 151 g of sodium chloride, NaCl is dissolved in enough water to prepare .375 L of solution?
.469 M this one is wrong
9.456 M
3.57 M
6.89 M

4. How many grams of potassium chloride, KCl, are needed to prepare 0.630 L of a 2.50 M solution of potassium chloride?
1.575 M
117 g
2.54 m
23.19 g this one is wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain what it is about these questions that gives you trouble? We can't really help if we don't know how you're approaching the problem.
You must have some ideas, how else can you say those answers are the wrong ones?

n108;

Google "molarity", go to the first reference, and look at the equation on the top of the site. Good luck.

Steve

ok, I think my mind is clearing up a little bit...better.
thanks

balancing equations

Problem #1:
Aluminum oxide is formed from the reaction of metallic aluminum with oxygen gas. How many moles of Aluminum are needed to form 3.4 moles of Aluminum oxide?
Hint: This is a simple ratio problem. Just use the molar ratio from the balanced equation. Mass is not involved.

Ok, so I know that aluminum has 3 valence electrons and oxygen, which is diatomic, has 6 valence electrons. And I know that there needs to be 8 electrons to make a compound. but 3 + 6 is 9, not 8. I also learned about the different types of bonds, ionic bonds, covalent bonds, metallic bonds. So I can guess that this is a covalent bond where I electron is shared by both.

But I still don't understand how to write the chemical compound equation, and how to balance it, for Aluminum oxide.
Help!

Aluminum Oxide:
Al2O3

That shows for 1 formula unit, two of Aluminum and three of Oxygen.

(Is there a way to form subscripts in this forum?)

You don't even need to balance the equations, simply use principle of conservation of (particluar) atom species, for eg in the above reaction, its Al.
Also, when you form compounds, care about the valence electrons of individual atoms, eg. you said Oxygen atom has 6 electrons. So its short of two, while Aluminium has 3 extra.
In simplest form the balanced eqn looks like this (this is not needed but still )
[tex] 2Al \ + \ \frac{3}{2}O_2 \longrightarrow \ Al_2 O_3 [/tex]

Thank you!
So now I know the formula for aluminum oxide: Al2O3. How do I find out how many moles are needed to form 3.4 moles of aluminum oxide?
The hint says: "This is a simple ratio problem. Just use the molar ratio from the balanced equation. Mass is not involved."
How do I the molar ratio of aluminum oxide?
Al2 to O3 = 2/3?
That doesn't seem right...

Related to Molarity of a solution of silver perchlorate

What is molarity?

Molarity is a unit of concentration that measures the number of moles of a solute dissolved in one liter of a solution. It is represented by the symbol "M".

How do you calculate the molarity of a solution?

The molarity of a solution can be calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters. This can be represented by the formula M = moles of solute / liters of solution.

What is silver perchlorate?

Silver perchlorate is a chemical compound with the formula AgClO4. It is a strong oxidizing agent and is commonly used in analytical chemistry and organic synthesis.

How is the molarity of a solution of silver perchlorate determined?

The molarity of a solution of silver perchlorate can be determined by measuring the mass of the compound and using its molar mass to calculate the number of moles present. This value can then be divided by the volume of the solution to obtain the molarity.

Why is the molarity of a solution important?

The molarity of a solution is important because it allows us to accurately measure and control the concentration of a solution. It is also a crucial factor in many chemical reactions and can affect the physical properties of a solution such as boiling and freezing points.