MoI of a Solid Sphere Derivation

In summary, Alex3's sphere has a varying radius across the disc, which is causing the equation for the MoI to be incorrect.
alex3
I'm aware of many, many solutions to this on the web (and on the forum) that I can follow, but I'm trying a different way (there are many, after all) and I can't figure out why it's not working, and I'd love to know where my logic is flawed.

I have a solid sphere, and I'm splitting it up into infinitely many discs. Taking a table top, the surface is my x-y plane, and up and down (wrt gravity) is my z-axis. I'm using [tex]\theta[/tex] as the angle from the x-y plane to the z-axis, [tex]-\frac{\pi}{2} \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex].

[tex]a[/tex] is the radius of the sphere, [tex]r[/tex] is the radius of a disc. Then, the thickness of my disc, an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] above the x-y plane, is [tex]a\operatorname{d}\theta[/tex]. The radius of the disc is [tex]a \cos{\theta}[/tex]. Then, the volume of the disc is [tex]a^2\pi\cos^2{\theta}\operatorname{d}\theta[/tex] (the cross-sectional area times the thickness [tex]\pi r^2 \operatorname{d}\theta[/tex]).

The equation for the MoI of a continuous solid is

[tex]I = \int r^2 \operatorname{d}m[/tex]

And here, our [tex]\operatorname{d}m[/tex] is [tex]\rho \operatorname{d}V[/tex], where [tex]\rho[/tex] is the density of the sphere, and [tex]\operatorname{d}V[/tex] is as defined above. As [tex]r = a\cos{\theta}[/tex], we get

[tex]I = a^5 \rho \pi \int_\frac{-\pi}{2}^\frac{\pi}{2} \cos^4{\theta} \operatorname{d}\theta[/tex]

The integral evaluates to

[tex]\frac{3\pi}{8}[/tex]

giving

[tex]I = \frac{3\pi^2}{8} a^5 \rho[/tex]

And we know

[tex]\rho = \frac{m}{V} = \frac{m}{\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3}[/tex]

We get the result

[tex]I = \frac{9\pi}{32} m a^2[/tex]

Which is wrong. Obviously there's a flaw, where is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi alex3! :smile:

you went wrong after …
alex3 said:
The equation for the MoI of a continuous solid is …

… you're assuming a constant r, but the r for your disc varies across the disc, doesn't it? :wink:

(using vertical cylinders instead of horizontal discs would work :smile:)

Aha! The distance from the axis changes along the disc, of course, thank you. Is there a simple (ish) fix that can be applied to my method to compensate for my mistake, of is it best for me to learn another tried-and-tested derivation?

I have many doubts about what I read in you post.

You can sum the pile of disks, ok.
But you have to sum the MoI of the single disk, not it's volume.

alex3 said:
Aha! The distance from the axis changes along the disc, of course, thank you. Is there a simple (ish) fix that can be applied to my method to compensate for my mistake, of is it best for me to learn another tried-and-tested derivation?

you can use (or prove) the formula for the moment of inertia of a disc, and then integrate that :wink:

(but vertical cylindrical shells is easiest)

Brilliant. You've all been very helpful indeed, improved my basic understanding of MoIs no end, thank you!

Related to MoI of a Solid Sphere Derivation

1. What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a solid sphere?

The formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a solid sphere is I = (2/5) * MR^2, where M is the mass of the sphere and R is the radius.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a solid sphere derived?

The moment of inertia of a solid sphere is derived through integration of the mass distribution of the sphere with respect to its axis of rotation.

3. Can the moment of inertia of a solid sphere be negative?

No, the moment of inertia of a solid sphere cannot be negative. It is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion and must always be a positive value.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a solid sphere compare to that of a hollow sphere?

The moment of inertia of a solid sphere is greater than that of a hollow sphere with the same mass and radius. This is because the mass of a hollow sphere is distributed further away from its axis of rotation, leading to a lower moment of inertia.

5. What are the units for moment of inertia?

The units for moment of inertia depend on the units used for mass and distance. In the SI system, the units for moment of inertia are kilogram-meter squared (kg*m^2).