Mohr's Circle does y-axis = max strain or max strain/2?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences in the calculation of Mohr's circle for maximum strain. While in mechanics of materials class, it was taught that the radius of Mohr's circle is the maximum strain, in application-based labs, the video suggests that the radius is equal to the maximum strain divided by 2. The person also questions if there are different circumstances for theoretical versus application. Then, they discuss the equations for normal strain and shear strain on a specified plane, given the principal strains in the x and y directions. However, the person eventually figures out that there are two plots for Mohr's circle, one with normal strain and shear strain and the other with shear stress and normal stress, which clarifies the equations for them
claraberner
This isn't a problem assignment per-say, but for a lab calculation. In my mechanics of material's class, we learned that the radius of Mohr's circle is the maximum strain, but now in my application lab-based class, the video is saying the radius is equal to the maximum strain divided by 2. So which one is correct? Is there perhaps a different circumstance for theoretical verses application?

Likes Chestermiller
Physics news on Phys.org
What are your equations for the normal strain and shear strain on a specified plane, given the principal strains in the x and y directions

Chestermiller said:
What are your equations for the normal strain and shear strain on a specified plane, given the principal strains in the x and y directions
Hello, I think I figured it out: one mohr's circle is plotted with x being normal strain and y being shear strain, and the other plot is the one I am used to: the shear stress on the y-axis and normal stress on the x-axis. So now all the equations make sense to me.

Related to Mohr's Circle does y-axis = max strain or max strain/2?

1. What is Mohr's Circle?

Mohr's Circle is a graphical method used in mechanics to visualize and analyze stresses and strains on a material. It was developed by German engineer Christian Otto Mohr in the 19th century.

2. How does Mohr's Circle represent strain?

Mohr's Circle represents strain as the radius of a circle. The center of the circle represents the average strain, while the radius represents the difference between the maximum and minimum strains.

3. Does the y-axis on Mohr's Circle represent maximum strain or maximum strain/2?

The y-axis on Mohr's Circle represents the maximum strain. This means that the maximum strain will be located on the circumference of the circle at the point where the circle intersects with the y-axis.

4. How can Mohr's Circle be used to determine the principal stresses and strains?

Mohr's Circle can be used to determine the principal stresses and strains by finding the point on the circumference of the circle that is farthest from the center. The coordinates of this point will represent the principal stresses and strains.

5. Are there any limitations to using Mohr's Circle?

While Mohr's Circle is a useful tool for visualizing and analyzing stresses and strains, it is limited to two-dimensional problems and does not take into account the effects of shear stress. It is also important to note that Mohr's Circle assumes linear elastic behavior and may not accurately represent the behavior of non-linear materials.