Modulated laser effect on plants

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of using pulsed lasers to stimulate plant growth, specifically in relation to photosynthesis. The wavelength of the laser is important, with a suggested range centered in the "blues" to have the maximum effect on chlorophyll absorption. However, the speaker is also interested in studies on the effects of pulsed light and the potential mechanisms affected by coherence and pulsing.
bogdan
I'm interested in anything you have...links...sugestions...ideas about this field...

Biology news on Phys.org
Can you be a bit more specific in your question? What wavelength or power? Otherwise, the answer could range from absolutely nothing, to stimulation of a particular set of photopigments, to burning a hole through it.

Well...I'm interested in the stimulation of growth of plants...especially if there are any studies about pulsed lasers at low frequency ( 5Hz-20KHz ), with wavelengths that stimulate photosynthesis ...the wavelength doesn't matter too much...I just want pulsed lasers that stimulate plants to grow :-p

The wavelength matters a lot - The absorption spectrum of chlorophyll
would indicate that for max effect you would want the wavelength probably centered in somewhere in the "blues" circa

chlorophyll a : 425nm
chlorophyll b : 460nm

unless you have a "sunlight balanced" laser light source

I don't know of any studies on the effect of pusled light, so I can't comment about that.

What mechanisim do you think would be affected by either coherency or pulsing?

Ordinary florescent lighing pulses at 60Hz, even though you don't see it.
I don't know of any particular effects associated with that, given equivilent applied illumination.

Related to Modulated laser effect on plants

What is the modulated laser effect on plants?

The modulated laser effect on plants is a phenomenon in which plants exhibit changes in growth, development, and physiological responses when exposed to low-intensity laser radiation. This effect is also known as biostimulation or photobiomodulation.

How does modulated laser affect plants?

Modulated laser affects plants by stimulating various cellular processes, such as photosynthesis, respiration, and enzyme activity. It can also trigger changes in gene expression, leading to altered growth patterns, increased resistance to stress, and improved overall plant health.

What types of lasers are used in modulated laser effect on plants?

The most commonly used lasers in modulated laser effect on plants are low-power diode lasers, typically with wavelengths ranging from 600 to 1000nm. These lasers emit coherent, monochromatic light that can penetrate deep into plant tissues without causing any damage.

What are the potential benefits of modulated laser effect on plants?

The potential benefits of modulated laser effect on plants include improved plant growth and yield, increased resistance to biotic and abiotic stressors, enhanced nutrient uptake, and reduced need for chemical fertilizers and pesticides. It can also accelerate seed germination and promote early flowering and fruiting.

Are there any potential risks associated with modulated laser effect on plants?

While modulated laser effect on plants is generally considered safe, there are some potential risks to be aware of. Overexposure to laser radiation can cause damage to plant tissues, leading to stunted growth or even death. It is important to carefully control the intensity and duration of laser treatment to avoid these risks.