Modular Arithmetic proofs (multiplication and addition mod n)

In fact, what you wrote goes beyond what you need, since you only need to show that (a (mod n)) + (b (mod n)) = (a + b) (mod n), i.e. that their remainders are equal. So, you could simply write:0 ≤ a (mod n) + b (mod n) ≤ 2n-1 (since a (mod n) and b (mod n) are both < n)You need to show that the remainder of their sum is the same as the sum of their remainders.
Elwin.Martin

Homework Statement

Let n be a fixed positive integer greater than 1. If a (mod n) = a' and b (mod n) = b', prove that (a+b) (mod n) = (a'+b') (mod n) and that (ab) (mod n) = (a'b') (mod n)

Homework Equations

When a = qn + r
a mod n = r

The Attempt at a Solution

(a'+b') (mod n) = (a (mod n) + b (mod n)) (mod n)
= ((a+b) (mod n)) (mod n)
= (a+b) (mod n)
(a'b') (mod n) = (a (mod n) * b (mod n)) (mod n)
= ((ab) mod n) mod n
= (ab) mod n

Is this a valid approach? My reasoning is that if we treat mod n as an operation on a number, then we can mod n twice and we should get the same thing since any remainder divided by the same number should yield the same number.

I know that my work isn't very rigorous and I didn't really apply the definition I have directly, can anyone point me in another direction if this is the wrong approach?

Thank you for your time,
Elwin

Physics news on Phys.org
Elwin.Martin said:
Is this a valid approach? My reasoning is that if we treat mod n as an operation on a number, then we can mod n twice and we should get the same thing since any remainder divided by the same number should yield the same number.

Thank you for your time,
Elwin
You might want to show this in a more rigorous way.

Sorry if this is a bit silly to ask, but how does one show modular arithmetic operations rigorously in general? My text is a bit casual when discussing the material and the closest thing there is to a definition in this section is that "when a = nq+r where q is the quotient and r is the remainder then a mod n = r." Is this all I need then, or is there some formal definitions for additions/multiplication etc. that I'm missing?

Thank you for your response,
Elwin

I have to admit that I was thinking of something called 'congruence mod n', which is somewhat different, although closely related. You will probably cover it soon, if you haven't already done so.

The 'mod' you have here appears to be a mathematical operation. You're right that a (mod n) = r means that a = qn +r for some integers, q and r, furthermore, 0 ≤ r < n. Note: this means that 0 ≤ a (mod n) < n, since (a (mod n)) = r.

It's not necessarily true that (a (mod n) + b (mod n)) = (a + b) (mod n).

Yes, 0 ≤ a (mod n) < n and 0 ≤ b (mod n) < n, but all that tells you is that 0 ≤ a (mod n) + b (mod n) < 2n .

Use qa , qb ra & rb & see what you can come up with.

You will have to look at two cases:

(Case 1) 0 ≤ a (mod n) + b (mod n) < n

(Case 2) n ≤ a (mod n) + b (mod n) < 2n

SammyS said:
I have to admit that I was thinking of something called 'congruence mod n', which is somewhat different, although closely related. You will probably cover it soon, if you haven't already done so.

The 'mod' you have here appears to be a mathematical operation. You're right that a (mod n) = r means that a = qn +r for some integers, q and r, furthermore, 0 ≤ r < n. Note: this means that 0 ≤ a (mod n) < n, since (a (mod n)) = r.

Yes, 0 ≤ a (mod n) < n and 0 ≤ b (mod n) < n, but all that tells you is that 0 ≤ a (mod n) + b (mod n) < 2n .

Use qa , qb ra & rb & see what you can come up with.

You will have to look at two cases:

(Case 1) 0 ≤ a (mod n) + b (mod n) < n

(Case 2) n ≤ a (mod n) + b (mod n) < 2n

^
Okay, I've got that part now.
0 ≤ a (mod n) + b (mod n) < 2n
Since we're dealing with integers, is it worth strengthening this statement?
0 ≤ a (mod n) + b (mod n) ≤ 2n-2 since a (mod n) ≤ n - 1 & b (mod n) ≤ n - 1
Or is that not true?

(Sorry, I've been traveling rhe last two days.)

Yes, it's true, but not important.

Related to Modular Arithmetic proofs (multiplication and addition mod n)

1. What is modular arithmetic?

Modular arithmetic is a mathematical system that deals with integers and their remainders when divided by a fixed number, called the modulus. It is often used to solve problems involving repeating patterns or cycles.

2. How is modular arithmetic used in proofs?

Modular arithmetic is useful in proofs because it allows us to simplify complicated expressions by reducing them to their remainders when divided by the modulus. This can make it easier to prove certain statements or equations.

3. What is meant by "mod n" in modular arithmetic?

"Mod n" refers to the modulus, which is the fixed number used in modular arithmetic to determine remainders. For example, if we say "a mod 5", we are referring to the remainder when a is divided by 5.

4. How can modular arithmetic be used to prove properties of multiplication?

Modular arithmetic can be used to prove properties of multiplication by showing that the same remainders are obtained when multiplying two numbers with different moduli. This is known as the Chinese Remainder Theorem and is a fundamental concept in modular arithmetic proofs.

5. Can modular arithmetic be applied to real-life problems?

Yes, modular arithmetic can be applied to real-life problems in various fields such as computer science, cryptography, and engineering. It is used to solve problems involving repeating patterns or cycles, and can also be used to ensure secure communication and data encryption.