Projectile Motion and Angle: Solving for Optimal Launch Angle to Double Range

In summary, the conversation discusses how to adjust the launch angle of a projectile to double its range without changing the launch speed. The approach involves breaking the problem into its components (x and y), using equations for x and y, and solving for the new launch angle (theta2). The final answer is 5.87 degrees.
terryaki
I need help putting this problem into a workable equation:

A projectile is launched from ground level at an angle of 12 degrees above the horizontal. It returns to ground level. To what value should the launch angle be adjusted, w/o changing the launch speed, so that the range doubles?

So far I tried this:

I broke the problem into its components: x & y.
FOR X: {x=Vo*COS(12)t Vox=Vo*Cos(12) a=0 t=t}
FOR Y: {y=? Voy=Vo*SIN(12) a=-9.8 m/s^2 t=t}

Then I used t=x/Vo*COS(12), then substituted that for T in the Y parts, so that:

y= tan(12)x - [(4.9 x^2)/(Vo^2*cos(12)^2)]

but then I got: x=tan(12)y, which doesn't help me at all.

I'm guessing I'm approaching this problem in a totally WRONG way!

Physics news on Phys.org
so you start out with a vector v-> and an angle theta1.

x = |v->| * cos(theta1) * t
y = |v->| * sin(theta1) * t - (1/2) * g * t^2

when y = 0, the projectile will be on the ground

0 = |v->| * sine(theta1) * t - (1/2) * g * t^2

t = 0 , 2 *|v->| * sin(theta1) / g

when t = 0 is at the start, so the other solution is the time it hits the ground

x = |v->| * cos(theta1) * 2 *|v->| * sin(theta1) / g

pluging in t into the x equation and doing some math you get:

x = |v->|^2 * sin( 2 * theta1) / g

If you want the range to be double then it is 2 times the x equation with the new angle.

x2 = 2 * |v->|^2 * sin( 2 * theta2) / g

equate x and x2 to find theta2. You know theta1 = 12 degrees

x = x2 , then theta2 = 5.87 degrees

And there is your answer

Your approach to breaking the problem into its components is correct. However, the equation you have derived for the y-component is not correct. The correct equation for the y-component of projectile motion is:

y = Voy*t + (1/2)*a*t^2

where Voy is the initial vertical velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity (-9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time.

To solve for the optimal launch angle that will double the range, we need to consider the range equation:

R = Vox*t

where R is the range, Vox is the initial horizontal velocity, and t is the time.

We can substitute the equation for t that you have derived (t=x/Vo*cos(12)) into the range equation to get:

R = Vox * (x/Vo*cos(12))

We can then substitute the equation for Vox (Vox=Vo*cos(12)) to get:

R = (Vo*cos(12)) * (x/Vo*cos(12))

Simplifying, we get:

R = x

So, the range is directly proportional to the horizontal distance x. This means that if we want to double the range, we need to double the horizontal distance x.

Now, we can use the y-component equation to find the time t it takes for the projectile to reach the ground again. Setting y=0 and solving for t, we get:

0 = Voy*t + (1/2)*a*t^2

Solving for t, we get:

t = (2*Voy)/a

Substituting this value of t into the range equation, we get:

R = Vox * [(2*Voy)/a]

Since we want to double the range, we can set R=2R and solve for the optimal launch angle:

2R = Vox * [(2*Voy)/a]

Simplifying, we get:

2R = (Vo*cos(12)) * [(2*Vo*sin(12))/a]

Rearranging, we get:

2 = (cos(12)*sin(12))/a

Solving for a, we get:

a = (cos(12)*sin(12))/2

Now, we can use this value of a in the y-component equation to find the optimal launch angle. Setting y=0 and solving for the launch angle, we get:

0 = Voy*t + (1/2)*[(cos

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched into the air and experiences both horizontal and vertical motion due to the influence of gravity. This type of motion can be seen in many real-life situations, such as throwing a ball or shooting a cannonball.

2. How is the optimal launch angle for doubling range determined?

The optimal launch angle for doubling range is determined using mathematical equations and principles of projectile motion. It involves finding the angle at which the horizontal distance traveled by the projectile is equal to twice the initial vertical displacement.

3. Why is it important to determine the optimal launch angle?

Determining the optimal launch angle is important because it allows for the maximum range to be achieved with the least amount of effort or force. This is useful in various applications, such as sports, where the goal is to throw or kick a ball as far as possible.

4. What factors affect the optimal launch angle?

The factors that affect the optimal launch angle include the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle at which it is launched, the height from which it is launched, and the force of gravity. These factors can be manipulated to find the ideal launch angle for doubling the range.

5. Can the optimal launch angle be different for different projectile objects?

Yes, the optimal launch angle can vary for different projectile objects. This is because the factors that affect the optimal angle may be different for each object. For example, the optimal angle for a golf ball may be different from that of a baseball due to differences in their size, weight, and air resistance.